Redington Wader Review

mtskibum16

Last pair of Simms lasted six years. Excellent waders.
I liked the cut of the old Simms better then the new ones. The slimmer fit doesn’t fit my old fat ass very well, especially when layered up.
I like a bit looser fit.

Simms also seems to discriminate against dudes with bigger feet. Last time I looked, 13 was the biggest standard bootie size. Perhaps that has changed.
I paid $75.00 extra to get bigger booties on my last pair of Simms.
Sent them to Simms to get the booties replaced on my dime after six years and Simms declined, saying they had basically met their useful life.

I’ve been happy with the non zipper Redington Sonic Pros. Got four years and about 450-500 days out of them. Almost all of that was in the salt, so no real bushwhacking for me.
They seem like a good value based on the $199 I paid for them.
I bought another pair for that same price that I’m currently wearing.
The older I get, the better a zipper sounds.
SF
Yeah mine are Sonic Pros as well. My "failures" that I had warranty replaced were never leaks. Just stuff like threading coming loose on the elastic gravel guards. I have yet to spring a leak in my 3 pairs of Sonic Pros.

Kyle Smith

DBA BozoKlown406
Do be mindful that welded waders to not have glued seams as far as I know, so this wouldn't work unless you get the spot hot enough to re-weld it.
Ok, I was under the impression that they were welded and taped.

Per Redington: "High-tech, double-taped, sonic welded seams (adhered together with sound as compared to being sewn) provide greater durability, comfort and increased mobility."

I think the welding just does the part sewing does on other waders, not the waterproofing part so much.

XP

I've got 4 plus years on my zip front Redingtons without a complaint. But I'm thinking the time is coming soon for a new pair. Has anyone here tried waders from Dryft?
I've heard dryft has worked out the issues they had with earlier models. But people should be jumping on the Simms deals right now- just got a pair of G3 Guide waders for 250$ on eBay. New and a great warrranty.

mtskibum16

Ok, I was under the impression that they were welded and taped.

Per Redington: "High-tech, double-taped, sonic welded seams (adhered together with sound as compared to being sewn) provide greater durability, comfort and increased mobility."

I think the welding just does the part sewing does on other waders, not the waterproofing part so much.
You could be right on that. Kind of sounds like it.

One request. Can we please say how long we’ve had them in terms of days used not years owned?
THAT ^^^^

My Redington's are working on about 300ish days, which I consider damn good for all of the bushwhacking I do when hiking in to my spots. They may have a bunch of silicone spots from me repairing leaks (my own fault for the type of use they get), but they keep my dry...

Probably the reason companies like Redington (others are doing similar things with more to follow I'm sure) are cracking down is because they're getting tired of people basically renting their equipment...hell, every product has a shelf life.

XP

THAT ^^^^

My Redington's are working on about 300ish days, which I consider damn good for all of the bushwhacking I do when hiking in to my spots. They may have a bunch of silicone spots from me repairing leaks (my own fault for the type of use they get), but they keep my dry...

Probably the reason companies like Redington (others are doing similar things with more to follow I'm sure) are cracking down is because they're getting tired of people basically renting their equipment...hell, every product has a shelf life.
300 days? Do you guide? I put 300 minutes on my first pair of Redingtons and I had a wet foot

I own 3 pairs of the Redington Sonic Pro's. 1 original Zip Front (with the RiRi Zipper which is now obsolete), 1 non-Zip Front (both acquired in 2012), and 1 of the newest generation (Sonic Pro HDZ) acquired in 2014. None have ever had a leak.

The first pair (Sonic Pro, non-zip front) has about 50 days on them, and I use them mostly as my back up waders or if a friend is coming with me that doesn't have waders. No complaints, no leaks, but they haven't been used much.

The second pair (Sonic Pro Zip front w/RiRi Zipper) had about 150 days on them. No leaks, but the Zipper separated and I can't get the zipper back on the track. Bummer about these, as they have no leaks whatsoever. Tried to talk to Redington about those, but the problem was they had switched from the RiRi zipper at that point, so they were unable to take them in for warranty. I haven't found anyone in Yakima able to repair the zipper, so I have a sweet pair of waders with no leaks, but a zipper that doesn't work.

The last pair I bought (new Sonic Pro HDZ) have about 200 days on them, no leaks, and I am tough on these. I bought these after wearing the older zip fronts and the zipper failing in 2014 (I knew they changed the zipper, so I figured I would give them a shot). As others have mentioned, once you have zip front waders, going back to non-zip front is out of the question. These waders, to me, fit great, are very durable, and as I said, have no leaks.

I am a fan of Redington waders, and would recommend them to anybody. As others have said, waders are going to leak eventually, but for how hard I am on them, and how often they get used, I feel they are a good value for the money.

I have owned, in the past, Simms and Patagonia waders, and both leaked within ~50 days of fishing. This is why I gave the Redington's a shot, and have been happy with them since (minus the RiRi zipper ones, I think that must have been a design flaw, which is why they likely changed zippers, but the waders still never leaked). The warranty, for me, is a PITA. I don't want to buy a pair of waders for the warranty, I expect to not have to use the warranty unless it's a manufacturer flaw or defect. I don't have the time to wait for my waders being shipped around and repaired. When they start to leak, I would hope that it's because I have used the crap out of them and they have reached the end of their life.

But, I totally understand the OP's point. I feel the same about Simms and Patagonia waders...they leaked to quickly. I haven't had a pair of Redington's do that yet, so at this point why would I switch back? Not to say I never will, just right now the Redington's work well for me. Same with Airflo lines. After having a line break about 20 feet into the WF head on a 10 wt. line after my first cast, I won't buy those lines again anytime soon, nor would I recommend them. As with any gear, there are likely some things that get past QC. If you end up with one of those products, then you fear that might happen again. If I have a multiple-day trip planned, I don't want to have those thoughts in the back of my mind. As you can see from this thread, multiple people have had great experience with Redington, and multiple people have had bad experiences with them. To each their own, and it's likely the luck of the draw on a lot of gear items, whether you got the item that was made perfectly, or the one that had a tiny flaw, but made it past QC.

Dan Page

Have owned them all over the years and using Redington Dry Fly now for a couple years with no complaints. I like them because of the medium wader with an 8-10 bootie option. Simms are great but can only get them with 9-11 bootie. 8-10 is slightly snug, but preferable to loose extra bootie in my wading boots.

Shad

Yup. I made the move to Patagonia specifically because of their warranty. I’ve had success and failure from all three brands. Might just be the difference between a pair made on Monday vs Friday afternoon.

One request. Can we please say how long we’ve had them in terms of days used not years owned? Type of fishing would help too. Standing in a drift boat 10 times a year is nothing like hiking around rivers 50 days a year.
I rarely measure the longevity of my waders in years. Most have been a leaky, moldy mess after 6-8 months, then I keep wearing them, despite the leaks, for another year or two before I decide I can stomach another investment.

I do a lot of hiking and pontoon boating in my waders. I try to be careful in the brush, but those wild blackberry vines and salmonberries can be sneaky and grabby. I think hiking is really hard on waders, even if you don't beat a lot of brush. All those steps with the neoprene rubbing on the inside of boots take a toll. I've gone to strictly wet wading in the summer, and that should take a lot of the wear and tear off my current waders, since that's when I do the most hiking (and when the brush is at its worst). Some might ask how I can tolerate June flows without waders. I'll tell them it's because wearing my waders is more or less like standing in the river after the leaks get going, so I'm pretty well acclimated.

Latest posts