NFR Best Cell Phone For Marginal Reception Areas

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
Wilson Electronics is now weboost:https://www.weboost.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-euwlYr01wIVCotpCh2_lw15EAAYASAAEgKFe_D_BwE

I have had a couple of their amplifiers and they work great. Be aware, that you have to have a signal to boost.

They work best in flat areas. West of Prince George I had no service without the amplifier and was streaming at 20 Mbps with the amplifier. In mountain areas, they do not work as well for obvious reasons. I have cell service that is a bounced signal. So voice and text works....somewhat, but data doesn't. Anyway, great company...great support. American made products.

Verizon, by far is the best provider in the rural west. There are pockets where you have ATT service, but not Verzion.

Part of the problem is the IPHONE. It is awful for reception of signal. Apple is a great Chinese company geared towards the urban market.
Years ago, people were complaining about how few bars they got with a IPhone so Steve Jobs had the phones modified to show more bars for a given signal strength!!! Some Apple phones are better than others....good luck finding out. I do own a IPHONE, but I also own a weboost amplifier to make up for it.

At one time you could easily find out how good the antenna was in various cell phones, but now nobody cares.

Old406kid are you on Pend O'reille Counties fiber network??

iPhones are made by an American company, Apple, to Apple design, in China. Whether or not Apple designed he reception as you mention, and I've never heard them say that, it was designed in the USA and not in China. Just to straighten you out here.

Old406Kid

Old406kid are you on Pend O'reille Counties fiber network??
Vladimir, first off thanks for the reply.
I do have some property on Skookum Creek in P.O.County but it's presently too far up the road for their fiber expansion.
(Pretty much the same cell issues there too but I don't go there as much)
The cabin I have is in western MT sandwiched in a valley with a sizeable mountain or two between me and the nearest cell tower. Most often I have no bars but can get one and on rare occasion two if I wander around the property enough
and maybe the atmospheric conditions are just right.
Your comment on iphones, at least various models, makes me wonder as my old flip phone did better than the SE that I have.

To all, is there such a thing as reception ratings for various brands or are they limited by the FCC or such?

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Your old flip phone may very well have had better reception than your SE, I've been told by techs the old phones were better at reception.

I use Wi-Fi calling at home, and have for 2 years, no bars where I live.....it's a reasonable solution, not perfect, but reasonable.

Old406Kid

Your old flip phone may very well have had better reception than your SE, I've been told by techs the old phones were better at reception.

I use Wi-Fi calling at home, and have for 2 years, no bars where I live.....it's a reasonable solution, not perfect, but reasonable.
Can you call and receive from anyone (land lines, etc.) or is it Wi-Fi to Wi-Fi?

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
It's everything, works well.

One thing you have to do is (or I do) is check your phones setting and make sure Wi-Fi calling is turned on, as my phone shuts it off for some reason. The main difference is a slight lag when using it, the ability to 'talk over' the person your calling (2 folks trying to talk at the same time) doesn't work with my Wi-Fi calling, the lag after you finish a sentence is noticeable, you feel like saying 'over' when you finish a sentence. That may be bandwidth related, but I have used it with satellite internet, and dsl....
It's my only option out here, hell...they only got power in the 50's this far out, and pavement in the 60's....so pretty happy with the ability just to make and receive calls.

The dsl works better than the satellite imho..

Old406Kid

Thanks All,
I enabled the Wi Fi calling on my iphone, oldest model that supports it, and am anxious to see how it works when I get back. I especially like the 911 feature, my wife and I are in good health but you never know.

Richard E

After traveling all over the US, including the area that you mention, my vote is for Verison, with ATT a close second. I have gotten calls with Verison in some of the most remote areas that even surprised me. Usually I outperform my buddies with ATT. Still places like Mid Canon on the Missouri only let me text....it is still not perfect. I'd like to go to one of the lower cost providers, but they just don't perform
Agree with the Verizon vote. I've used Verizon, AT&T, and most recently a 12 hour stint with T Mobile (no service at my home in Seattle) before I cancelled my account amd went grovelling back to Verizon. Verizon isn't the best deal, price-wise, but it does offer the best coverage. And, why have a phone if you can't use it? For me it's worth the extra money per month to ensure I have the best coverage/cell access.

Richard E

You can call anywhere with the wifi calling.
Sure, if your phone is set up to make WiFi calls, and if you have power for the WiFi to work

I like to ensure I have cell coverage without relying on WiFi, in the event I don't have power and need to make a call. Every once in while during the winter I lose power, and it's nice to be able to call around and find out the extent of the energy outage and somewhere I can go where there is power (and heat).

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Sure, if your phone is set up to make WiFi calls, and if you have power for the WiFi to work

I like to ensure I have cell coverage without relying on WiFi, in the event I don't have power and need to make a call. Every once in while during the winter I lose power, and it's nice to be able to call around and find out the extent of the energy outage and somewhere I can go where there is power (and heat).
Sounds like you want all the comforts of city life. We live in a rural area and are always ready for the power to fail. But the benefits of ruralality far outweigh the occasional inconveniences...at least for us.

Latest posts