Tipping Guides

ssickle1

Slow and Low
All this makes me feel bad. I didn't know you were supposed to tip. I took a guided trip month or so ago and the guide was good and worked hard. I figured since I ran the shuttle, no rods, indicators ect or lunch I was probably OK.
Sounds like I stiffed someone. I better put a check in the mail.

Sorry Jeff. :beathead:

ssickle1 said:
All this makes me feel bad. I didn't know you were supposed to tip. I took a guided trip month or so ago and the guide was good and worked hard. I figured since I ran the shuttle, no rods, indicators ect or lunch I was probably OK.
Sounds like I stiffed someone. I better put a check in the mail.

Sorry Jeff. :beathead:
You shouldn't feel bad about it. Though all of these things should have been discussed beforehand, and what was and wasn't included in the job laid out, I for one, am always prepared to recieve nothing from a client. Either becaue of stinginess, or a misunderstanding as your own. If you feel inclined to send him some money, and explain what your side of it, I can tell you that that would go a long way in his eyes. Just my thoughts, and I wouldn't beat yourself up over it too much. :thumb:

Take care all,
Jeff

Davy

My wife and I fish with a guides 4 or 5 times a year just so we can "both" fish. And or learn a new river .She feels guilty with me always rowin.( I should write a book on inducing and encouraging this feeling)

Two years ago ,in the early fall,when I was first getting my health back and starting to fish again we got a guide over on the Yak in the fall.

She was really lookin forward to it as was I. I hadn't fished in 7 or 8 years let alone the Yak.

Well, long story short, basically he rowed us from put-in to take-out, (BigHorn-to Slab)not much help, we got a few fish, 8 or 9, not what I would call a good day on the Yak. Lunch that he provided was litterely spoiled , yes , rotten. They were the pre-packaged kind a certain outfit makes for the guides over there.This particular guide is one of ( or the) most expensive on the Yak and we had to provide the shuttle too.I could be wrong but for those rates you'd think a simple canyon shuttle would be included. Yes , used our own flies too.The list is long, he didn't tye flies on for either of us, help with leaders, untangle droppers, recommend where to cast ,warn about upcoming brush etc. nothin-zip- just rowed the boat.Thats literally all he did. Not even any jokes and hardly any conversation.

When we got to the Slab a wife of one of his buddies was there and he spent the whole time gettin the boat out conversing and laughing with her and paid little or none attention to us,not a word, just when the boat was "finally" loaded to say "ok,get in".

Anyway- the actual story is a lot longer than this and a lot worse than I care to put here. So bad that my wife still to this day talks about how bad a day it was and how disappointed she was.But at the same time we will talk about the really good guides we have been with as way of comparison. you know? i.e.= remember how so and so did it ?

How much should I have tipped this one? Did I tip this one?

I tip pretty darn well on the trips that have been first rate.( I know, I used to guide) But this wasn't even stowage rate.

It's sad too 'cause I know this man, used to share that river ( when there were only like 4 or 5 guides working the Yak) along with others guiding back in the 80's.

I have never figured it out.

Wife thinks perhaps even though he agreed to take us he looked at me as competition even though he knew my condition, heck, when we booked the trip he asked me if I was even able to walk these days. He knew I wasn't guiding any more.

Just another of those guides from warm places stories.

TL/ davy

That guy sounds like an SOB, but just for the record shuttles tend not to be cheap... the lady who does them in Paradise Valley, MT, charges $30 for a ten mile float right along the highway. Lots of times, shops/guides who have you help with the shuttle pass on the savings. It's one reason Parks' Fly Shop (where I work) is a smidge cheaper than most reputable places in the area (not counting the scab guides, etc.).

nomlasder

I think everyone has had a good experience and bad ones. I like to think I tip reasonably well, but with poor service I will intentionaly tip a small amount, so they will know I just didn't forget, or don't know the rules of the game. The last poor trip I tipped an extra buck. I wonder if he got the message.

Davy

Longs for Cutts said:
, but just for the record shuttles tend not to be cheap... the lady who does them in Paradise Valley, MT, charges $30 for a ten mile float right along the highway. Lots of times, shops/guides who have you help with the shuttle pass on the savings. QUOTE]

Yes,your right, I know all this, I get shuttles all the time. Had the trip been satisfactory or better, obviously it wouldn't be an issue probably. Although my wife was a little surprised that morning when we did have to do it. She was expecting "not" to have to.

At any rate, in this case, it was just another negative added to the really big poop pile.

Bear in mind that shuttles even just two years ago were not as expensive as they are currently. I think most Yak canyon shuttles in 03 were about 15 or maybe 20 bucks.

Back when I was guiding we usually did the shuttles with the clients because "paid" shuttles were either nonexistant or not always arrangable.

The KOA guy for the, KOA- Ringer float still is 20 bucks including the 5.00 launch fee. 15.00 for the Park ramp I think. Last week he was 10.00 ( total 5 +5)cause you have to do it with him- he follows you down and brings you back ( his main guy is on vacation and may be back now) and doing full no hassle shuttles.

For my wife and I when we float with our boat it cost's far more than that to drive a 2nd vehicle over there. In that respect shuttles are cheap. Or atleast a good deal.

Have a great day

davy

Latest posts