2 Republicans seek immediate ban on Atlantic net pens

Smalma

Suspect that the driving force behind ban the farming of Atlantic salmon is less about concerns of environmental impacts and more about impacts from the commercial salmon farming on the regions commercial salmon fisheries. Certainly would seem to support on Rep. Walsh's track record.

Curt

Jim Darden

Wow....when did fishing become a partisan issue, which ones are the Democrat fish and which are the Republican fish? I heard their reasoning on this one and am not sure I agree, they are pushing for using native species rather than Atlantic salmon for the farming, that is the strategy used by WFW with hatcheries for 100 years to get us to where we are now. They fail to realize that we tried to introduce Atlantic salmon to our streams years ago and they didn't take. It would seem more sensible to farm a fish that wouldn't pollute the gene pool if it escaped, rather than using a fish like Chinook that would successfully spawn in our streams. I don't see a difference between farmed Chinook and hatchery Chinook. In any event I would like to see them moved out of inland waters to the open ocean where they would have less chance of infecting our local fish.

Suspect that the driving force behind ban the farming of Atlantic salmon is less about concerns of environmental impacts and more about impacts from the commercial salmon farming on the regions commercial salmon fisheries. Certainly would seem to support on Rep. Walsh's track record.

Curt
How they got there is not as important to me as the fact that we have some bi-partisan support for a ban.

jwg

Funny (on me), I read this and thought "Atlantic net pens" meant net pens raising salmon on the Atlantic ocean coast, and became hopeful this could become a national issue with Congressmen on both sides of the country uniting to oppose net pens.

Are there concerns on the Atlantic ocean side too, and could my pipe dream actually occur?
that is, both coasts and both parties opposing net pens?

I could surmise that on the Atlantic side, the net pens are less of a threat to commercial fisheries because the species and locations are so different. ?

j

Rep Drew McEwen is a big time fisherman and a *huge* conservationist. Like, salmon are a fundamental part of his platform, big time. Check out his work with Long Live the Kings in Lilliwaup.
If you're curious about it, ask him. He's knowledgeable for a politician and responds quickly to inquiry, everything a good representative of the area should be.

Last edited:
I agree with Chris Johnson, we should applaud and encourage any bipartisan behavior. I am going to assume the best of these two legislators.

Shad

Good stuff... As long as we don't see Pacific net pens take their place.

We do need to figure out a better way to farm fish. It's the only hope for wild anything, unless people stop eating fish, of course.

Latest posts