Attn. All Nymphers: SLOW DOWN

Jonathan Stumpf

I don't care how you fish
I don’t care for a commercial video which includes conservation organizations (WSC was in it) where it dances around the true issue, in that true conservation here is closure/limited season of the Hoh and evaluation of sustainable escapement goals.
That's an entirely separate video, @chromie. I don't think any of the conservation orgs featured in the video are dancing around the issue. This video is a portrait about one guide lessening his impact on a limited resource (who, by the way, is one of the most active guides involved with steelhead conservation and management on the OP) put out by a fishing brand that puts a helluva lot of money into steelhead conservation.

chromie

That's an entirely separate video, @chromie. I don't think any of the conservation orgs featured in the video are dancing around the issue. This video is a portrait about one guide lessening his impact on a limited resource (who, by the way, is one of the most active guides involved with steelhead conservation and management on the OP) put out by a fishing brand that puts a helluva lot of money into steelhead conservation.
I’ll leave it at this:

1) I don’t know the guide and certainly my initial posts could be seen as an attack on him. Not my intention. I too have grown up in a small logging town and am fully aware of the industries downward effects on small community economic opportunity. Deleted those and take ownership.

2) I’m a huge Sage fan not only for their conservation work but for the people that work there. Awesome people, great service, great product. And this is why I have nearly 10k in Sage gear alone. Doesn’t mean I can’t disagree on certain points.

If the video is portrait on conservation/limited impact why do it on a run we all can agree is severely threatened? Why not do that video for the guides who took full ownership and stopped guiding it? Would they not be the ultimate story of conservation?

I’m critiquing the idea that fishing on a depressed run with a spey rod is something to commend with a professionally made video. To me, that idea in itself is admission that maybe fishing it in general should be considered which you point out is already in other videos. I’ll google them.

Not attempting to throw the baby out with the bath water here and claim either the guide in the video, any conservation group involved or Sage is evil. We all are clearly passionate about steelhead and the future of the species.

Pimping the OP is pimping the OP. I don’t really care who the players are.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
Pimping the OP is pimping the OP. I don’t really care who the players are.
This is the thing I find puzzling. I expect it in NASCAR and Bass fishing in the south, but Steelheading?

When did it become more important to put on a show and make money pimping the resource so blatantly?

*I removed the photo-showed a steeheader in a boat with huge advertising all over, with the brightly clothed fisherman wearing neon vests with multi-colored patches and words all over, looked like a Christmas tree of advertising, one that you only see on a NASCAR race, not a steelhead river of drab green and gray and beauty. An eyesore !

Last edited:
I deleted my posts because I didn’t consider how they could be looked at as attacking the guide in particular. I don’t want to come across in that way. No way at all. I respect his approach. He’s in a tough spot. I’m not in the anti guide group either.

I don’t care for a commercial video which includes conservation organizations (WSC was in it) where it dances around the true issue, in that true conservation here is closure/limited season of the Hoh and evaluation of sustainable escapement goals. I believe another forum member here Bob Triggs? Concluded the same and stopped guiding it. No video was made of his actions. One of the papers he posted awhile ago really opened my eyes to the escapement situation, beyond personal experience.

The video doesnt need to say what style of fishing should or shouldn’t be done. It states swinging is a conservation method and has a commercial brand stamped on it. That implies other methods (nymphing) are not conservational. The video calls out nymphing specifally. And again, if this is believed, do the right thing and fish another system that is sustainable.

You don’t put out a video like that without an intent to influence others behavior.

I’ll repeat, I’m not a fisheries expert. Made an observation and that is all.
I understand your point and don't disagree with you. We all come to realizations in different ways and at different times, I see this as a step in the right direction.

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
According to WDFW: http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/tribal/#hoh
netting ended for the year on Nov 28. Do they start again in the spring? If not I wouldn't imagine they have a huge impact on winter runs, but I'm no expert.
Yes, they do. The tribe nets the run to the point where any other impact is insignificant. Arguing about sport fishing impacts on the Ho is asinine.

The escapement is determined by the tribe. Full stop.

Go sox,
cds

Jonathan Stumpf

I don't care how you fish
According to WDFW: http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/tribal/#hoh
netting ended for the year on Nov 28. Do they start again in the spring? If not I wouldn't imagine they have a huge impact on winter runs, but I'm no expert.
Here you go. While I respectfully disagree with Charles about the impacts of sportfishing on the Hoh, he's absolutely right that commercial fishing has the biggest impacts on escapement.

Attachments