Attn. All Nymphers: SLOW DOWN

golfman44

5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Hey guys, I was browsing the new Pro Sportfisher catalogue (company that makes pro tubes) and came across a fascinating new product, the Pro Jectile. It is designed to allow spin fisherman to fish flies more effectively by sinking quite fast to get the flies down and stay there during the retrieve similar to fishing a spoon.

Naturally, this revolutionary product has me thinking...if a gear guy uses this and ropes a chromer on a green butt skunk, does that mean they are fly fishing and can join or club? How about if I threw this Pro Jectile on a 14 weight fly rod w/ a commando head, does that still count as fly fishing?

Screenshot_20180219-212543~2.png

Last edited:

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
Very similar to trout situations. I love catching trout, along with their bigger chrome brothers. I just don't target the searun variety as much anymore.

There is a backwater to a large river 30 miles from my house which has Carp..... Is it worth it?

So what should I hang under my indicator for them?
Anything as long as it is on the bottom. Well worth it.

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
Hey guys, I was browsing the new Pro Sportfisher catalogue (company that makes pro tubes) and came across a fascinating new product, the Pro Jectile. It is designed to allow spin fisherman to fish flies more effectively by sinking quite fast to get the flies down and stay there during the retrieve similar to fishing a spoon.

Naturally, this revolutionary product has me thinking...if a gear guy uses this and ropes a chromer on a green butt skunk, does that mean they are fly fishing and can join or club? How about if I threw this Pro Jectile on a 14 weight fly rod w/ a commando head, does that still count as fly fishing?

View attachment 163074
This thing is freaking brilliant.

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
San do the same thing better with a conventional rod
When I fished for steel, I fished next to guys who attempted to do this with conventional gear and they just couldn't make it happen the same way. Conventional gear doesn't allow for mending and it makes it much harder to move the float into certain drifts. The further out the float the harder it is to control. I did see a center pin used with efficiency on a couple of occasions, and I even tried it and caught fish, but in the end I both didn't like it and it was not as effective.

When I fished for steel, I fished next to guys who attempted to do this with conventional gear and they just couldn't make it happen the same way. Conventional gear doesn't allow for mending and it makes it much harder to move the float into certain drifts. The further out the float the harder it is to control. I did see a center pin used with efficiency on a couple of occasions, and I even tried it and caught fish, but in the end I both didn't like it and it was not as effective.

I guess the gear fishermen near you didn't know what they were doing

KerryS

Ignored Member
In the past I have been known to tie a Wells spoon on the end of a 9/10/11 Windcutter and fling it all using a Sage 9140 with a Hardy Bougle’ IV for the winch portion. I found using a long floating fly line on a long two handed rod to be quite superior to throwing the same lure using a bait caster or spin setup. The ability to mend the line in different directions controlling the speed of the lure and maintaining its placement in the strike zone for longer periods of time far easier with the two handed fly setup. The line delivered the lure with no added weight and I was able to cast to the same distances I would cast any other lure/fly.

Was I fly fishing? Was I gear fishing? Was I gear fishing with a two handed fly fishing rod and line?

By the way the setup is quite effective on silvers.

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
The bobber guys really want to be fly fishermen. I say they take the bobber off and they may become fly fishermen.

Hopefully, I'll be fishing with Kerry. He won't be so effected by me when I tell him that the wells spoon is not a fly.

Go Sox,
cds