Attn. All Nymphers: SLOW DOWN

Salmo_g

Also good to know that you don’t like logic.
Hey Ira, that's not what Charles said. He did not say he doesn't like logic. He said that he doesn't care what level of logic you think your (sic) using. I thought you were all about words having meanings and how one uses words matters. And then you go and make such a faux accusation. I'm hugely disappointed, as in as disappointed as anything in this thread could disappoint me.

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
Hey Ira, that's not what Charles said. He did not say he doesn't like logic. He said that he doesn't care what level of logic you think your (sic) using. I thought you were all about words having meanings and how one uses words matters. And then you go and make such a faux accusation. I'm hugely disappointed, as in as disappointed as anything in this thread could disappoint me.
Exactly, he doesn't like logic. As far as I'm concerned, if he doesn't care about or like my sound logic, and he is unwilling to listen at all, that equates to not liking logic at all. I read what he said very carefully.

I practice at the Church of the Great Sphere. We fish floating lines and tie our beads and yarn in hand without the aid of obnoxious modern vices. I even inflate my own bobbers from latex balloons with air from my own lungs. I’m a devout believer in the sacred Tungsten Putty and the Almighty Barrel Swivel. No blasphemous blood knots on my Holy Rig. Since I’ve never woken up and said to myself: “today I’m going fly fishing” I don’t worry about defining what it is or isn’t particularly for people who aren’t interested in the Gospel.

I know it’s different from than the rigs I run on my loomis and curados and it fishes differently and I also frequently have different results.

“When in need, Bro out your bead.” - Bobber Ron

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
great post and important points charles. but ignoring the topic is not your strong point, nor mine, or iras. I agree though, everyone should fish however they like and not fucking care what tactic others are using until it crosses a legal threshold. then its time to speak up.

i think we all need to come together, join forces, and use our combined powers to fight piss poor fish handling and poaching instead, or even working together to change that legal threshold if some techniques are truely putting a precious resource in peril..... im tired of bobbers vs swing creating division among us.

In summary.
Can you fly fish with a bober : yes
can you gear fish with a bobber : yes
is it the same : not really
is it similar : yes
can you gear fish with flies : yes
is all of it irrelevant if you hold a wild fish by the gill plate : yes
You are right, I struggle not commenting. I have my opinions and I certainly would not hold them if I thought they were wrong. Fishing regs is another topic that I have an opinion about.

I don't think any fishing tactic or the amount of poor fish handling that we see are putting the fish in peril. That's why the original little film was so damn stupid.
I've determined that it seems quite obvious that habitat is what limits fish in most instances. The tribes certainly limit the escapements on the coast pretty much exclusively but for PS and the Columbia it seems as though it's habitat that is needed. I lump those dams in with habitat as they make the habitat deadly.
All the hand ringing about handling and hatcheries misses the point in my opinion. Similar to the debate we have had here I think worrying about these issues are divisive and counterproductive. In between parenting and life I am trying to figure out what my role can be in protecting habitat. Land trusts, CREP etc. is the direction I'm headed in my mind. I have determined that I don't feel good about trying to help organizations who focus or comment on the sport fishing rulebook. Like arguing with IRA, it's a shitshow with nothing to gain.
Overall, I agree that arguing about tactics is divisive. That's why I think the rulebook is the worst place to try an accomplish something.
I sure wish I could just win Powerball. You could buy a lot of easements with 300 million.

Go sox,
Cds

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
You are right, I struggle not commenting. I have my opinions and I certainly would not hold them if I thought they were wrong. Fishing regs is another topic that I have an opinion about.

I don't think any fishing tactic or the amount of poor fish handling that we see are putting the fish in peril. That's why the original little film was so damn stupid.
I've determined that it seems quite obvious that habitat is what limits fish in most instances. The tribes certainly limit the escapements on the coast pretty much exclusively but for PS and the Columbia it seems as though it's habitat that is needed. I lump those dams in with habitat as they make the habitat deadly.
All the hand ringing about handling and hatcheries misses the point in my opinion. Similar to the debate we have had here I think worrying about these issues are divisive and counterproductive. In between parenting and life I am trying to figure out what my role can be in protecting habitat. Land trusts, CREP etc. is the direction I'm headed in my mind. I have determined that I don't feel good about trying to help organizations who focus or comment on the sport fishing rulebook. Like arguing with IRA, it's a shitshow with nothing to gain.
Overall, I agree that arguing about tactics is divisive. That's why I think the rulebook is the worst place to try an accomplish something.
I sure wish I could just win Powerball. You could buy a lot of easements with 300 million.

Go sox,
Cds
I agree with 100% of this post!

So your and Rob's definition of fly fishing is the same. Not much of what you've stated jives with all of what Rob's stated so I can't believe you wrt definitions. Yours is important in this thread but you've never stated it, you've resisted stating it.

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
So your and Rob's definition of fly fishing is the same. Not much of what you've stated jives with all of what Rob's stated so I can't believe you wrt definitions. Yours is important in this thread but you've never stated it, you've resisted stating it.
I think I have made it very clear, I think using an indicator is fly fishing. I think Rob did a great job of stating a definition, what part of his definition doesn't jive with you?

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
With that, though, I have also asked you to prove to me that indicator fishing would be more effective with a gear rod, but you backed out of that challenge. So, since you asked me a question, I will ask you one. If I use a Hopper as an indicator am I fly fishing?

Latest posts