Attn. All Nymphers: SLOW DOWN

I'm surprised you refuse to give us "your" definition, does it only include bobbers? Your making me guess and the more I guess the more likely I'll be wrong, your choice I suppose.

Also, if you use a floating hopper with a hook in it your dry fly fishing, unless you have another fly somewhere under the water. Then you'd be fishing, fly fishing, two flies at a time. That fits into my definition of fly fishing with 2 flies, what's your definition?

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
I'm surprised you refuse to give us "your" definition, does it only include bobbers? Your making me guess and the more I guess the more likely I'll be wrong, your choice I suppose.

Also, if you use a floating hopper with a hook in it your dry fly fishing, unless you have another fly somewhere under the water. Then you'd be fishing, fly fishing, two flies at a time. That fits into my definition of fly fishing with 2 flies, what's your definition?

I said I agreed with Rob. No refusal, pay attention. I don't think bobbers would work in Robs definition though, because they weigh to much. An indicator on the other hand fits right in. Why is it so hard to see the difference between the two?

So an indicator with a hook in it would fit your definition?

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Bobbers, float, indicators = all the same. They all do the same things, some better than others at certain things. But their all bobbers :p

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
Bobbers, float, indicators = all the same. They all do the same things, some better than others at certain things. But their all bobbers :p
With bait, a bobber makes sense. It bobs, so you can make sure the bait is fully taken before setting the hook. With an indicator, if it bobs, you are doing it wrong.

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
However the only thing that makes fly fishing not the same as conventional fishing is the casting and the use of a fly.

As soon as the weight of what you are casting pulls the line through the air you are no longer fly casting and therefore no longer fly fishing.
@Klickrolf since you can't seem to find things for yourself.

A bobber is a strike indicator for bait fishermen.

The deffinition of fly fishing is self evident except to thoes who wish to be called fly fishermen but are not.

It's very telling when you are working in a fly shop and non anglers come in and ask what a thingamabobber is. You politely describe what it's for ans they say " oh it's a bobber", "i didn't think thoes were used fir fly fishing"

Or when a gear fisherman comes in and sees them and says with a laugh " that's not fly fishing."

Happens all the time.

rob, if i fish with the fly i posted above, and a single bead dropper on 4 feet of tippet. and i cast the fly upstream, and dead drift it back to me (with a fly rod, overhand cast, and a decent loop formation) am I fly fishing or gear fishing?

Latest posts