Best 6 weight beach reel

I decided to go with the NV-G 6/7 for this reason. I am very confident in it for my local saltwater fishing, great smooth drag and nice wide arbor.
The CCFX2 6/8 is the right choice if you need the reel to travel for your bonefish trips, etc. It would be a bit heavy for cutts and resident coho I think, but Nick might correct me.
Thanks @DimeBrite. I have to admit that I am surprised that you think the CCFX2 would be the better travel reel for bonefish etc. I was under the impression that the NV-G was the better reel of the two.

Maybe Nick will chime in if he sees this. I will probably wait until after the New Year or a little longer before I make the purchase as I am not in any hurry.

I personally don't find the weight to be an issue at all. I actually fish the CCFX2 8/10 on my 8 wt for adult salmon no problem. The bigger reel gives me a bit more versatility. Some folks might not like the weight but personally it doesn't bother me.

Landed countless coho and two adult chinook over the last few years with zero issue.

DimeBrite

MA-9 Beach Stalker
I meant to say that the CCFX2 6 /8 might provide more flexibility in one reel (local and travel fishing).
The NV-G series is great and I own them in 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Monster, and 12 Monster.

Thanks @DimeBrite. I have to admit that I am surprised that you think the CCFX2 would be the better travel reel for bonefish etc. I was under the impression that the NV-G was the better reel of the two.

Maybe Nick will chime in if he sees this. I will probably wait until after the New Year or a little longer before I make the purchase as I am not in any hurry.

I’m a big fan of Loop. My 4/6 Loop EvoTec G4 handled a 12lb chum with no problems. I was using a 5wt, so it kicked the crap outta me, but the drag system on that reel was more than enough.

jasmillo

If you are looking for a more reasonably priced option, I just purchased an Orvis Hydros SL for my 8 weight set up. I don’t fish 8 weights often and I am also in the market for a new 6 weight setup myself, so I chose not to break the bank. So far, I have been very happy and at around $200, a solid deal.

XP

I meant to say that the CCFX2 6 /8 might provide more flexibility in one reel (local and travel fishing).
The NV-G series is great and I own them in 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Monster, and 12 Monster.
The CCFX 6/8 is a great 8 weight reel, maybe even a 9 weight reel.

October Coho.jpg
For Puget Sound beaches my go to is a Tibor Back Country. Versatile and simple. The newer CL Wide model has a wide range of applications and line capacities.

I also use a Bauer M2 Super Lite. No longer made but a great little reel for 5/6 weight applications.

Latest posts