Best 6 weight beach reel

grady blk

My 5/6 wt beach rod is an Opal 2 hand surf rod, more like an 8wt single for it throws 350 grains Serum line and my reels I use on that rod is a Loop 7/10 HD or a Hatch 7 finatic, Bauer MX4, and my recently purchased Ross Evolution Salt, all great reels with smooth drags 20170820_085225.jpg

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
For searun cutts, just go with the 6 wt reel that you may already have. Just rinse it after using it in the salt.
These replies have me convinced that one has to be either filthy rich, or a focused fanatic, in order to be a fly fisher these days. I am neither, but I still have fun with my low end, limited gear. In fact, I could make a case that cheap reels with shitty (but palmable) drags, make a good fish even more exciting.:p

ffb

This one's for @mtskibum16 : http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/white-river-fly-shop-hobbs-creek-fly-reel

This will be my third season in the salt with this bad boy. Rinse after every trip. So far it hasn't affected my ability to catch fish although I may be singing a different tune when that 15lb blackmouth finally grabs my fly while fishing for cutts!

I may even upgrade my rubbermaid dish pan stripping basket year.

This one's for @mtskibum16 : http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/white-river-fly-shop-hobbs-creek-fly-reel

This will be my third season in the salt with this bad boy. Rinse after every trip. So far it hasn't affected my ability to catch fish although I may be singing a different tune when that 15lb blackmouth finally grabs my fly while fishing for cutts!

I've been witness to this bad boy of a reel landing many fish! John is my fly fishing cheapness muse ;)

mtskibum16

I like your style. Don't get me wrong....I spend my fair share of $$$ on fishing gear. I generally shoot for the mid-range stuff when it comes to reels and have had good luck so far. Reels where I can just buy another one for less than a new spool on some of these things.

mtskibum16

Anyone have experience with the Nautilus X? Seems like a good slightly more budget friendly high-end reel.

I've always thought the Ross Cimarron II would be a sweet reel if they hadn't designed it to be as ugly as possible. Predecessor of the CLA and kind of hits a sweet spot for quality and value for me. Plus the I love the angry bike hub drag sound. But damn it's ugly.

jasmillo

Anyone have experience with the Nautilus X? Seems like a good slightly more budget friendly high-end reel.

I've always thought the Ross Cimarron II would be a sweet reel if they hadn't designed it to be as ugly as possible. Predecessor of the CLA and kind of hits a sweet spot for quality and value for me. Plus the I love the angry bike hub drag sound. But damn it's ugly.
Your still looking at probably $350 for the 6 weight option. There are some really decent saltwater reels out there for much less than that, especially if you wait/look for deals and especially for folks who hit the beaches 1-2 times a month if that.

I bought a CLA on closeout earlier this year that I may use with my new 6 weight set-up. Nice reel and getting very little use. I bought it to pair with my 6 weight river setup which nowadays gets used maybe 10 times a year. Might as well take it to the beach where I’ll quadruple it’s usage....

I use Ross Gunnison reels on my rods, for the most part. They are #2 for 5 wt., #3 for 6 wt., and #4 for 7 wt. They are salt water safe, lightweight, and they have a nice drag system when needed. The only issue is finding them as they are an older model reel.

flyfisherman_sean

Fly fishing enthusiast.
Some of you guys have some serious coin invested in a reel that will rarely get it's drag tugged. It would be easier for me to justify them for tropical saltwater or bigger fish, but a $600 reel for SRC and coho seems pretty crazy. (adds a couple expensive reels to wishlist :D)
Your probably right, but having corrosion resistant materials and a sealed drag means it will last a lifetime. Not having to rinse and get every crevice clean everytime I go out is a huge benefit. Thats the main reason i purchased an exspensive reel.

Your probably right, but having corrosion resistant materials and a sealed drag means it will last a lifetime. Not having to rinse and get every crevice clean everytime I go out is a huge benefit. Thats the main reason i purchased an exspensive reel.
There are aluminum reels with sealed drags in much lower price ranges as well. And if anything, I would be cleaning a $600 reel BETTER after each trip because it was $600! :D

Your still looking at probably $350 for the 6 weight option. There are some really decent saltwater reels out there for much less than that, especially if you wait/look for deals and especially for folks who hit the beaches 1-2 times a month if that.

I bought a CLA on closeout earlier this year that I may use with my new 6 weight set-up. Nice reel and getting very little use. I bought it to pair with my 6 weight river setup which nowadays gets used maybe 10 times a year. Might as well take it to the beach where I’ll quadruple it’s usage....
Yeah I'm just saying it seems like a good option in the Nautilus line for a higher end reel without going full in on top line.

I got a CLA 6 this year for my 10wt. The drag is on the weak side, but that's not a big deal for our beaches. What size do you have for a 6wt? I've been keeping my eyes out for them. Picked mine up new for $160 shipped.