Bamboo Fling

Last June we had a gathering of bamboo rod enthusiasts at Cascade View Park in Redmond, WA. There were 10 or 12 of us that participated and 3 of us went fishing at Cottage Lake after the gathering. I am sure all who attended had a good time. I know I did. This year I would like to host the gathering on my side of the sound. That would be here in Kitsap County. I have Island Lake just north of Silverdale picked out as the location. There is plenty of parking and a large open grassy area for casting. The other attraction is the lake for those that want to fish. At this point in time I don’t have an exact date picked out but I am thinking of the month of May just after the spring stocking.

What do you think about three divisions? First, shorty’s, rods under 6 feet. Second, Franken rods, rods made up of spare parts from other rods, bringing them back to life. Third all of the other bamboo rods, new and old.

Let's get together and cast some cane.

Jerry

PhilR

In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey
I’ll see if I can make it up from Portland. Might even have my Monty cleaned up by then.

Justin, any progress on the PMQ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to see some interest. The thread has only been up for a little more than 12 hours and we have 3 guys expressing interest. Correct me if I am wrong, Bajema’s name is Justin. It looks like Justin may be a bamboo rod builder. If that is the case I would like to encourage him to bring his “stuff” with him to show us the magic of rod building.

Bajema

Correct. My name is Justin. I'm only in the very early stages of becoming a bamboo rod builder. I've built up a bamboo rod from a purchased blank, but am just starting on splitting and planning my first bamboo rod. There are others here with far more experience than me, but if I can make it, I'll bring what I can.

para_adams

Jerry, thanks for taking the lead this year! If the timing works I'll aim to make it and enjoy casting a lot of great bamboo. I have one rod that might fit the "frankenrod" category and mostly rods that are original cane but refinished, some to look like original, some with a passing nod to the original. Ron

I wasn’t able to make the gathering last summer but am definitely interested is making the trek over to the peninsula for this one. Will keep this thread highlighted and plan ahead.

With some luck I will have the two bamboo rods I currently have in work completed and can bring them along.

Dave Krismer
Snohomish, WA
Dave

Good to see this is still attracting attention. I have been under the weather the last couple of days, and haven't been able to set in front of the computer. Keep it coming.
If any of you have any ideas to may "it" better put it out there and lets see what happens. This is all about a day of fun.

I wasn’t able to make the gathering last summer but am definitely interested is making the trek over to the peninsula for this one. Will keep this thread highlighted and plan ahead.

With some luck I will have the two bamboo rods I currently have in work completed and can bring them along.

Dave Krismer
Snohomish, WA
Dave

Dave, are you making the rods or refinishing? Either is great!

Dave, are you making the rods or refinishing? Either is great!
I started in December 2015 making my own bamboo rods. Got some early help from Mike Monsos and a couple others. It has been a path of discovery and learning! I have three rods completed but two of them are copies of each other because I was just trying to plane as many strips as possible and had enough to glue up two full blanks of the same taper. I have two other rods that are glued up with grips and reel seats and I need to start wrapping the guides and finishing.

Latest posts