Bamboo Fling

para_adams

Bonsai, come on...you can't just casually drop the "just received my rod from Dennis Stone" then not tell us anything about it! Details are wanted....

Also, Mothers Day will be Sunday May 13th. Which means I WILL be around Saturday May 12th but could easily be out of town the weekend before or after for lakes fishing east of the mountains. Just a thought for scheduling. Ron

I was so excited I forgot the details. It is just beautiful, 3 piece, 8 foot long, 5 weight. The guides, ferrules and reel seat hardware are antiqued.
The cork is made up of 1/4 inch pieces instead of 1/2 inch pieces, gives the grip a different look. Not sure what finish Dennis used on the wraps,
very thin epoxy or a varnish. I took it to Peninsula Outfitters, my local fly shop to try on a new Hardy Marquis fly reel. The reel was made for
the rod. Like I said, I was so excited, I went to the fly shop and forgot my cash. I will go back Tues. or Wed. and pick up the new reel. On one
hand I want to fish it right away on the other hand I want to savor the new rod and drool over it for a while. Teal Lake will be getting a plant
sometime in February. I wonder if I can wait that long. This is an experience I hope all fly fishermen can have.

Jerry

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
Excellent reel choice but I might be biased. 90% of the time I am using a Marquis. All of mine have seen plenty of use. Keep it lubricated and keep dirt out of it and it will last your lifetime.

TC

Jerry,

The 1/4" cork rings are an indicator of a quality rod made by a rod maker who appreciates nuances like this. Congratulations!

Tom

I was so excited I forgot the details. It is just beautiful, 3 piece, 8 foot long, 5 weight. The guides, ferrules and reel seat hardware are antiqued.
The cork is made up of 1/4 inch pieces instead of 1/2 inch pieces, gives the grip a different look. Not sure what finish Dennis used on the wraps,
very thin epoxy or a varnish. I took it to Peninsula Outfitters, my local fly shop to try on a new Hardy Marquis fly reel. The reel was made for
the rod. Like I said, I was so excited, I went to the fly shop and forgot my cash. I will go back Tues. or Wed. and pick up the new reel. On one
hand I want to fish it right away on the other hand I want to savor the new rod and drool over it for a while. Teal Lake will be getting a plant
sometime in February. I wonder if I can wait that long. This is an experience I hope all fly fishermen can have.

Jerry

para_adams

Jerry
What taper did you get? And Dennis does beautiful work.

PezVela where would you be coming from? There are 3 campgrounds in the area. Scenic Beach State Park is about 15 miles to the west of Island Lake and about a 30 minute drive. Kitsap Memorial State Park is about 12 miles north of Island Lake and about a 15 minute drive. Of the 2 Scenic Beach State Park is the most beautiful, both are on the Hood Canal. Illahee State Park is about 10 miles to the southeast and about a 20 minute drive.

Last edited:

PezVela

PezVela where would you be coming from? There are 3 campgrounds in the area. Scenic Beach State Park is about 15 miles to the west of Island Lake and about a 30 minute drive. Kitsap Memorial State Park is about 12 miles north of Island Lake and about a 15 minute drive. Of the 2 Scenic Beach State Park is the most beautiful, both are on the Hood Canal. Illahee State Park is about 10 miles to the southeast and about a 20 minute drive.
My camp is down by the East Fork of the Lewis.. so maybe a 4 hour drive. Thanks for the information, and I'll put it in the Master Plan for May...

PezVela

That would be great if you can make it.....bring those shortys and Crown Royal!
Haha... would you settle for Jack Daniels? I could bring a handful of bamboo rods I've built on Dennis Stone , AJ Thramer, and Kiley blanks. (Payne 98 & 100, Granger 8040, Leonard 50DF, Paul Young "Perfectionist", Garrison 204e,and a Sweetgrass)....and maybe a Heddon "Featherweight" #17, and the "Shortys" .... that might be fun to play with.

Haha... would you settle for Jack Daniels? I could bring a handful of bamboo rods I've built on Dennis Stone , AJ Thramer, and Kiley blanks. (Payne 98 & 100, Granger 8040, Leonard 50DF, Paul Young "Perfectionist", Garrison 204e,and a Sweetgrass)....and maybe a Heddon "Featherweight" #17, and the "Shortys" .... that might be fun to play with.
Black label?? ;)

Latest posts