Bamboo Fling

What kind of action does this rod have? I've found that I can use both dry and wet lines with stiffer dry fly action bamboo and only wet lines with softer action rods. Try setting a indicator take down with a parabolic action...:confused:
As for brands I swear by Cortland Sylk for floating and Crystal River type III for sinking on all my bamboo. Works for me....

Favorites - Wulff Triangle Taper and the SA Mastery VPT. Somehow the VPT syncs particularly well with Granger and Phillipson tapers which are medium to medium fast but very traditional. I tried a VPT 5 weight with my 1920's Goodwin Granger Denver Special the other day and cast out to 75'. Shocked the heck out of me. The Triangle Taper line feels similar. I'm anxious to try one of those Royal Wulff bamboo special lines, its probably nirvana.

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
Favorites - Wulff Triangle Taper and the SA Mastery VPT. Somehow the VPT syncs particularly well with Granger and Phillipson tapers which are medium to medium fast but very traditional. I tried a VPT 5 weight with my 1920's Goodwin Granger Denver Special the other day and cast out to 75'. Shocked the heck out of me. The Triangle Taper line feels similar. I'm anxious to try one of those Royal Wulff bamboo special lines, its probably nirvana.
The Royal Wulff Bamboo Special is the same line as the Triangle Taper Long Belly but with a colored front taper and a different name. I got this information from the west coast distributor.

TC

Last edited:
Last June we had a gathering of bamboo rod enthusiasts at Cascade View Park in Redmond, WA. There were 10 or 12 of us that participated and 3 of us went fishing at Cottage Lake after the gathering. I am sure all who attended had a good time. I know I did. This year I would like to host the gathering on my side of the sound. That would be here in Kitsap County. I have Island Lake just north of Silverdale picked out as the location. There is plenty of parking and a large open grassy area for casting. The other attraction is the lake for those that want to fish. At this point in time I don’t have an exact date picked out but I am thinking of the month of May just after the spring stocking.

What do you think about three divisions? First, shorty’s, rods under 6 feet. Second, Franken rods, rods made up of spare parts from other rods, bringing them back to life. Third all of the other bamboo rods, new and old.

Let's get together and cast some cane.

Jerry
Hi Jerry,

I am new to this forum.

I've made a dozen or so bamboo rods over the past few years. Pretty much self-taught.
Attended the Calapooia Bamboo Rod Maker's gathering in Brownsville, OR, last spring. I would be interested in attending this gathering gathering.
Do you know of any state/county campgrounds near Island Lake where one could camp for the evening? I have the impression that the park is day use only.

Thanks
Steve,
Fall City, WA

Steve Foisie, you are more than welcome. We would all enjoy seeing your rods. Island Lake Park is day use only. But, there are 3 campgrounds in the area. Scenic Beach State Park is about 15 miles to the west of Island Lake and about a 30 minute drive. Kitsap Memorial State Park is about 12 miles north of Island Lake and about a 15 minute drive. Of the 2 Scenic Beach State Park is the most beautiful, both are on the Hood Canal. Illahee State Park is about 10 miles to the southeast and about a 20 minute drive. I for one would like to hear more about the Calapooia Bamboo Rod Maker's gathering in Brownsville, OR.

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
Hi Jerry,

I am new to this forum.

I've made a dozen or so bamboo rods over the past few years. Pretty much self-taught.
Attended the Calapooia Bamboo Rod Maker's gathering in Brownsville, OR, last spring. I would be interested in attending this gathering gathering.
Do you know of any state/county campgrounds near Island Lake where one could camp for the evening? I have the impression that the park is day use only.

Thanks
Steve,
Fall City, WA
Hi Steve. We met at Calapooia. The event proposed here will be quite different as compared to Calapooia. Hope to see you there.

TC

PhilR

In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey
Yeah, if we can get a date set, I can try to talk the wife into a weekend in the big city. Otherwise, I may camp, or do something stupid like a day trip.

My son-in-law is graduating from the PHD program FSU May 5th. My wife and I will be in Florida that week end. At this point it looks like we will be going to Florida the week before for the graduation. Working around my wife’s work schedule. We can tentatively schedule things for the week end of May 12th. I am confident this will be a much lower key than the event in Brownsville, OR. It is just a bunch of guys that like bamboo fly rods and feel neglected. That said I want to hear more from Steve Foisie about the Calapooia Bamboo Rod Maker's gathering. If some of you haven’t already guessed I hope this becomes an annual event and hope to add a little something to it every year. Steve Kokita put it together last year, me this year. Next year ,who?

Latest posts