Lever Action

D

dld

Sure like the looks of my little Henry's 22 with the octagonal barrel. Problem is the rounds jam all the time which gives those little varmints a chance to escape to their holes.
Never had any rounds jam on my 357mag Henry's. A friend could make it jam, but it was because he was jacking the round in slowly. Once I told him to act like he was in a battle, he started working the lever faster and never had another problem. Not sure if that may carry over to the .22.

D

dld

Happy stainless Marlin 45-70 owner. I like the side eject better than top eject.
Nothing wrong w the Henry though. Just one old guys opinion.
When I was shopping for guns, I read some disappointing reviews of the newer Marlins, which steered me to the Henry's. I'm happy to hear a good review of the Marlin.

I do wish I had splurged for the case-hardened steel version, tho, but I guess looks aren't everything.

Gene S

Never had any rounds jam on my 357mag Henry's. A friend could make it jam, but it was because he was jacking the round in slowly. Once I told him to act like he was in a battle, he started working the lever faster and never had another problem. Not sure if that may carry over to the .22.
Yes, good point. I make a habit of cycling fast but still get jams every third or fourth round.. When my brother shot the rifle he would slowly cycle and get jams with most rounds. I would suspect that a larger size round would cycle better. Still like the looks of that little Henry's...but when it comes to serious squirrel shootin' my Volquartsen 17 hmr with a 4x14 Burris is second to none in my arsenal. :)

GeorgeV

WFF Supporter
Years ago I had a Marlin 30-30, it wouldn't load and eject properly, then not too many years ago Marlin made a .41 Mag. in a lever gun. I had hopes it would shoot the same hand loads as my Ruger revolver and would be easy to carry on my horse. It never made it to the horse. The target looked like I was shooting a shotgun (I was shooting off the bench) and it jammed all to frequently. A Model 88 Winchester is great lever gun, the action is real strong, the lever throws the bolt, so it's about as strong as a M-70, they also shoot well. The M-99 Savage is a good rifle and the 300 Savage cartridge is almost up to .308 Win. ballistics, a deer wouldn't know the difference. Now I just have bolt action rifles.

Chic Worthing

WFF Supporter
My favorite lever gun is a Ruger #1 and my elk gun is a .338 win mag. I had a hunter ask why I took a single shot hunting elk and I told him I brought extra ammo, but that so far I have never needed them.

GeorgeV

WFF Supporter
The last couple of trips into the Bob Marshall and Scapegoat Wilderness areas of Montana I carried my .300 Win Mag. Not so much for the elk, but for the grizzly bears. I haven't hunted deer or elk in Mt. since '08 or '09, but I might hunt this year, I better decide it's about 27 days away.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
Henry Rifles are great. Action is smooth as butter, they have great craftsmanship and are made in America, priced right.

My only gripe is the lack of a loading gate. I prefer that to the tube loading. I think performance overlooks that though.
They now make a loading gate model

Bake

The worst rifle I ever owned was a Winchester Model 94. [30-30Win.]. I bought this rifle new in '63 [with a box 170 gr. bullets] for somewhere around a fifty to sixity bucks. The first day I took it out to the base range where I was working, and without thinking I put on my heavy shooting jacket on, to sight the Winchester in. With a 6:00 O'clock hold, I was shooting about a 2 1/2" group around 6" high at 100 yds. Not being a hunter or coming from a hunting family, I figure I was good to go. After chow, I decide to shoot another group from a cold dirty barrel just to see how much my POA would change. And that's when it happened, wearing nothing but a "T" shirt, fatigue shirt, and my M-65 [field jacket], pulling the rifle into my shoulder pocket & squeezing the trigger. I was sure the gun had blown up, I never felt so much recoil in my life! I fired 4 more rounds and by the fifth round, I was satisfied with the POA & POI and hated the 94. Now my job at the range was to test fire an M-1, clean & repair as required, and refire if I had replaced any parts. I was not "recoil sly", before, but that model 94 gave me flinch that was similar to a bayonet thrush ! ! !

Last edited:

Rogue Fanatic

No one mentioned my all-time favorite lever- Browning's BLR. My 7mm-08 is my go-to rifle, takes a scope easily and loads with a magazine which is fast and safe. The only wart on it is that the trigger breaks at about 6.5# and cannot easily be adjusted. Even with the sucky trigger it shoots 1.5" groups which is as good as I can shoot.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts