More winning for Big Oil

And no need to try and clean up the extraction process either....

https://www.usnews.com/news/busines...ays-obama-era-regulation-on-methane-emissions

"The action marks at least the third time the Trump administration has moved to delay or set aside the Obama-era rule, which was imposed last year. The rule forces energy companies to capture methane that's burned off or "flared" at drilling sites because it pollutes the environment.

An estimated $330 million a year in methane is wasted through leaks or intentional releases on federal lands, enough to power about 5 million homes a year.

Methane, the primary component of natural gas, is a leading contributor to global warming. It is far more potent at trapping heat than carbon dioxide but does not stay in the air as long.

A federal judge threw out an earlier bid to delay the rule.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Elizabeth Laporte of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California said Interior had failed to give a "reasoned explanation" for changing the Obama-era rule and had not offered details why an earlier analysis by the Obama administration was faulty."

I don't know about you guys but I'm getting tired of all this winning....

Yard: We are in for a long haul with a constant fight for survival against the corporate elite. They care only about the $ and will stop at nothing to strip whats left of the planet's resources. The new Republican party is not the party of Lincoln! I dare say Lincoln is turning over in his grave when he sees a party that writes checks to support a sexual predator who assaults 14-year old girls!

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
Yard: We are in for a long haul with a constant fight for survival against the corporate elite. They care only about the $ and will stop at nothing to strip whats left of the planet's resources. The new Republican party is not the party of Lincoln! I dare say Lincoln is turning over in his grave when he sees a party that writes checks to support a sexual predator who assaults 14-year old girls!
Don’t both political parties engage in cover ups ? Seems pretty even when it comes to deception. Most people forget political parties were established to push the agenda of their financial contributors and not what’s best for the general public. In the end it always has been and always will be about financial gains for a select group of people.

Bimini15

Don’t both political parties engage in cover ups ? Seems pretty even when it comes to deception. Most people forget political parties were established to push the agenda of their financial contributors and not what’s best for the general public. In the end it always has been and always will be about financial gains for a select group of people.
Good points but...
The question is what are we doing about it? Any of it? All of it?

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
Good points but...
The question is what are we doing about it? Any of it? All of it?
That’s the big question, the last election is the first time a relative independent person was elected president. I say this because neither party really endorses Trump, the Republican Party was basically forced to run him because of public opinion & the democrats got caught up in their own party tomfoolery and lost the election . We are seeing the fall out of a non protege winning a election with the old guards of the political parties having a shitfit about it on both sides of the political arena

weiliwen

The same would have been true of Bernie Sanders; the Democratic Party was more successful in derailing his candidacy, for better or worse.

To the original question: What are we doing about it? I have my answer. I have, after a long time, rejoined the Democratic Party. I fully agree with Bennysbuddy that they are complicit in the crap that's been happening since long before Trump seized power, but they represent something closer, at least, to my principles, than the GOP. I have filed to be a candidate in the next election cycle for local precinct committeeman for my neighborhood. Baby steps, but it's a start.

Bimini15

That’s the big question, the last election is the first time a relative independent person was elected president. I say this because neither party really endorses Trump, the Republican Party was basically forced to run him because of public opinion & the democrats got caught up in their own party tomfoolery and lost the election . We are seeing the fall out of a non protege winning a election with the old guards of the political parties having a shitfit about it on both sides of the political arena
Unusual candidate as he might have been, he now has the backing of the party that is embracing and pushing his agenda.

But this discussion is not really about Trump. I look at it from the outside and he is only a consequence of a broken system. The issues mentioned were there before him and will be there after.

weiliwen

The simple answer is take the money out; put a reasonable limit on campaign expenditures and publicly fund elections with no outside contributions allowed, shorten the election season to 6-8 weeks, eliminate lobbying.
I like those ideas; I bet it would force candidates to actually run on the issues. I doubt they'd pass Constitutional muster, though.

I'm also not a Ryan fan; he's in the congressional district just north of me (although in a different state). I'd love to see him lose, but you know the GOP will put all sort of big money into the race if it looks like he stands a chance of losing. He's their main ideologue.

The simple answer is take the money out; put a reasonable limit on campaign expenditures and publicly fund elections with no outside contributions allowed, shorten the election season to 6-8 weeks, eliminate lobbying.
Unfortunately it’s up to those benefiting the most to make those changes. I’d add not being able to work for said donors for 5-10 years after leaving office.

Seems to me if moderate republicans and moderate democrats broke from their parties to form a 3rd party they'd be unbeatable and do more things that more Americans want.

Right now both parties are playing the fringes of society and making the middle mad.
Not sure how that would work with the religious convictions of the right but I do like the idea. I’ve often thought it would be good to just ditch parties all together. Everybody is an independent and runs on individual issues. I’m afraid nothing would ever get done in that scenario though.

Oregon just became the first state with more registered as independent than in either major party. A big part of that is the motor voter program but it’s progress.

Latest posts