Tiger Musky

Darby

Tried this post over in the Stillwater section. Now trying here:

Going to try and fish for some Tiger Musky this coming year. I have some XXL wiggle tails from Rapax, and want trail it behind the hook (not right off the hook). Unfortunately, I can't find any stinger style wire stiff enough. Admittedly "can't find" has a lot to do with my lack of knowledge on Tiger Musky fishing. Anyone have a good source, product, or technique?

Thanks,

Steve

jersey

livin' the dream
Tried this post over in the Stillwater section. Now trying here:

Going to try and fish for some Tiger Musky this coming year. I have some XXL wiggle tails from Rapax, and want trail it behind the hook (not right off the hook). Unfortunately, I can't find any stinger style wire stiff enough. Admittedly "can't find" has a lot to do with my lack of knowledge on Tiger Musky fishing. Anyone have a good source, product, or technique?

Thanks,

Steve
http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/threads/wiggle-tail-review.134131/

That's a start, but hit up Adam, he's happy to help based on his posts.

Hi Darby! Only seen your posts yesterday, it's hard to get past the first few forums cos' they are so active! If Tiger Musky are anything like Northern pike? I'm gonna say that your wiggle tail will be to far back from the hook by looking at that picture, i made the same mistake! In the spring this year i lost a few pike because they had bit the wiggle tail & missed the hook, but this fall i was using mostly flies with wiggle tails because pike love em, lost a lot of fish that missed the hook! Now i'm connecting the Jumbo slim wiggle tails to the back of the hooks & the XXL wiggle tails about 1" behind the hook, lots of different wires out there, friend even just uses bit of fluorocarbon with a perfection loop! My favorite hook now is the Partridge Universal predator #4/0, it's a thinner gauge then the Universal predator X, i'm also squashing the barbs now & seems like a bit less lost fish too! Remember to use a bite tippet & have fun! Cheers Adam

Darby

Thanks Adam for the heads up on the hook. My plan is to tie material that far back and have the tail to start just inside of it, but may need to rethink. Just getting into the big streamer game, so have a lot to learn. As for hooks, I picked some Ahrex trout predator & predator hooks from size 4 thru 6/0 and still getting other materials. Do you tie with any brushes? From the cost of them I'm thinking about getting a table and make my own. At least that way I can control bulk and shape. Other posts on the board mentioned we have a pike problem in the state, so will definitely go and chase them too. If I have questions in the future, can I PM you?

Yeh you can PM, just hope my box isn't full of messages from the soap lake ladies! No brushes, just throw flashabou in a dubbing loop, I put a pike fly SBS on the flytying subforum while ago, have a look at that, probably a few pages back now? But now I'm putting the rattle on the bottom of the shank so they swim better! Also go to trip reports with pictures & have a look at my thread float tubing my backyard, there are pictures of the chewed up wiggle tails from lost fish from being to far back!

dryflylarry

"Chasing Riseforms"
I found some stuff at Sportsman Warehouse called AFW SURFSTRAND stainless steel wire 20 lb test that I used for stinger style setup. In the “meat Fishing” section.

FinLuver

Hit up Gunnar Brammer for fly design. He has a website and many YouTubes. One thing he seems to mention, is how the fly is taken by the toothy fish...seems they like to slam 'em (prey) mid-fish (er...fly) right behind the gill plates and broadside.

Darby

Thanks, I've watched his videos in the past and talked with him. He's very talented and a really nice person. He puts out a lot of good info and explains things very well. Matter fact, that pic is from him on how he rigs.

Latest posts