The one yard line

Wow, progress. I'm wondering- what are potential restrictions going to be concerning this proposed fishery? Is there much concern being thrown around that the Skagit being the only river open in the Puget Sound area during this time might result in overfishing?

KerryS

Ignored Member
Wow, progress. I'm wondering- what are potential restrictions going to be concerning this proposed fishery? Is there much concern being thrown around that the Skagit being the only river open in the Puget Sound area during this time might result in overfishing?
It was the only river open when it was closed. Some feel enough has changed in the past 7 years that it will be overly crowded. I have never felt that way. I do think the first few weekends it is open there will be a lot of people then everyone will, once again, realize the Skagit is a large and difficult river to fish. Once this sinks in the number of fishermen will decrease.

Speaking without doing all the research here, but as a "Wild and Scenic River" guides must be permitted by USFS. There are a limited number and most of those are held by eagle watching outfits. Might be time to put them on speed dial.
Interesting, thank you for the additional information; glad to see there is at least some tool in place to prevent a "free-for-all" from the onset.

For the record, I wasn't being critical of anyone or the process, I was just curious if it was even on the radar at any point considering the recent focus on the explosion of steelhead guiding in other regions.

golfman44

5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Speaking without doing all the research here, but as a "Wild and Scenic River" guides must be permitted by USFS. There are a limited number and most of those are held by eagle watching outfits. Might be time to put them on speed dial.
I thought this as well but have already seen local guides taking deposits for and booking trips for this spring. That doesn't make them right or wrong, but I figure they know a lot more than I do.

KerryS

Ignored Member
Bob,

Find Leland at the beginning of the video. Director speaks right after Leland when questioned by one of the commissioners. It is brief but he definitely says the department has a spring steelhead season covered.

Latest posts