The one yard line

Salmo_g

The check's in the mail Jim, and you know the government is always on time, right? There's still a week for public comments to come in on the preliminary determination, and depending on how many and how substantive addressing them is will influence how long it takes to finish off the EA and BO. Considering that it took over 3 years for WDFW and the tribal co-managers to develop the RMP, I'll go out on a limb and say I won't be terribly shocked if it takes a few weeks for NMFS to finish all the paper work they still have to complete.

Sg

Jim B

Thanks, Sg. Having brought my first winter steelhead to hand in March, 1989, in the Sauk's Tiffany Run under the tutelage of John Farrar, the Skagit/Sauk system is the most hallowed of all the O. mykiss waters for me. It'll be good to swing a fly in their currents again.

And a huge, grateful shout-out to the Occupy Skagit effort!

Salmo_g

Thanks to certain dot orgs whose names can neither be confirmed nor denied, the Skagit steelhead season will not open by March 1. Between the legitimate concerns, hand-wringing over what ifs, and threats if any legally requisite i isn't dotted or t isn't crossed because the only way a steelhead season can be done right is if it is crafted as seen through their particular lens, which is not one of the choices on the menu today. Nor will it be tomorrow. Because so much of what they insist must be known in order for this to be "done right" is not only not known, but never will be known. Life is fvcking uncertain. Steelhead population responses within dynamic environmental parameters even less so. Steelhead fishery management, actually not so much.

The EA and BO are moving by fractions of an inch from the one-yard line to the goal line.

Sg

Jeremy Floyd

fly fishing my way through life
Well Salmo,

I guess it’s time to get off our asses and write a factual piece for some of the flyfishing rags..

The last crap published on the Skagit, that I read in the last month, would have been better placed in the opinion section of the Washington post.

I sincerely hope the author never steps foot into a watershed, with the intent of fishing, that is less restrictive than the proposed Skagit plan.

No more $$ from this guy..

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
Thanks to certain dot orgs whose names can neither be confirmed nor denied, the Skagit steelhead season will not open by March 1. Between the legitimate concerns, hand-wringing over what ifs, and threats if any legally requisite i isn't dotted or t isn't crossed because the only way a steelhead season can be done right is if it is crafted as seen through their particular lens, which is not one of the choices on the menu today. Nor will it be tomorrow. Because so much of what they insist must be known in order for this to be "done right" is not only not known, but never will be known. Life is fvcking uncertain. Steelhead population responses within dynamic environmental parameters even less so. Steelhead fishery management, actually not so much.

The EA and BO are moving by fractions of an inch from the one-yard line to the goal line.

Sg
I'm not happy.

Go Sox,
cds

miyawaki

It would appear that the Wild Fish Conservancy, Wild Steelhead Coalition and Wild Steelheaders United/TU are unraveling all that Occupy Skagit and the Department has accomplished. They waited until we separated the Skagit from her underperforming sisters and they pounced. No wonder they wanted to help us.

Leland.

So I take it it's in believe it when it happens status again?

?

Screw it I'm fishing it March 1rst anyway. I have found fish on the lower end of the river before this time of year, and at least my casting will be all in order if it ever does open.

Last edited:

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
The Skagit got Malcolm Butler'd
I like to think that the bad guys just had a ball fall in their hands at the 4 yard line. With any luck OS will find a way to yell, "Malcolm, you're in!"
Either way you see it, I am unhappy right now. I'm super frustrated with WFC et al. There appears to be no way that to appease them. The proposal isinot morally pure. The best monitoring in North America is not good enough. They seem to think that the department has all the money in the world even after they continually tear them down with lawsuits and the threat of more lawsuits.
It's become clear to me that tearing down WDFW is the end result of the current paradigm of fish conservation. It may be the goal. At the same time you argue that WDFW is the problem. Show your group is morally pure and make some movies in the name of "awareness" and presto you now are better than WDFW. Throw in some shitty "science" that shows WDFW is the problem and you can really neuter the department and what they can do. In the end, the fish aren't better off. Anglers aren't better off. WDFW isn't either but hey at least you are morally pure and people gave you awards.

Short term it'll be driving the kid to soccer and piano. Long term, you just gotta find a way to take the negative emotional and turn it into positive action.

Go sox,
Cds

Smalma

Saw this and called one of my sources. What WDFW is hearing is that approval process is still on going and they have been told by NOAA that approval is still expected; just that the process is taking longer than expected. They hope to have permit in hand sometime next week and expect to have a fishery in place shortly thereafter.

While we may not get a chance to fish as long as some would hope we all should have a chance to swing a fly or two.

Curt

Last edited:
It would appear that the Wild Fish Conservancy, Wild Steelhead Coalition and Wild Steelheaders United/TU are unraveling all that Occupy Skagit and the Department has accomplished. They waited until we separated the Skagit from her underperforming sisters and they pounced. No wonder they wanted to help us.

Leland.

Sadly for the born and beaten pessimist in me it was all too predictable. I wish people didn't always live up to my already horribly low expectations. This isn't about fish anymore. It's as divided and outlandish as the nation's politics. It's a purity contest. Meanwhile truth and reason are marooned on an island of logic never to be spoken of again. If the dot orgs wanted to alienate their supposed constituency then mission accomplished. What do they want that is actually accomplishable other than what we have which is closure? I'm waiting.

So I take it it's in believe it when it happens status again?

?

Screw it I'm fishing it March 1rst anyway. I have found fish on the lower end of the river before this time of year, and at least my casting will be all in order if it ever does open.
I totally agree, the most productive thing you can do given the situation is to be on the river.

KerryS

Ignored Member
Years ago I attended some of the first meetings of the WSC. I figured out fairly quickly that while this group says they are fishermen their underlying philosophy is more inline with animal rights groups like peta than fishermen. I believe that the WFC is even more so an animal rights organization and the WSU/TU is mainly interested in publicity and raising money. For these reasons alone I have been boycotting these groups for years and encourage other anglers to do the same.

Latest posts