New to fly tying

freestonebound

Rule #1 - Dont be hard on yourself.
Rule #2 - Nature isnt perfect, yor flies dont have to be either. Sometimes an unproportunate fly looks like a dead, crippled or stillborn insect.
Rule #3 - Relax and have fun.
Your tools dont have to be expensive. The more you tie the quicker you'll progress. Welcome down the rabbit hole.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
There are a lot of whipping-finishing tutorials out there - find one that works for you & practice on a bare hook until you get it down. I use inexpensive bobbins - some ceramic, some not but ALL are smooth & don't fray/cut tying thread. I like good hackle pliers & DON'T scrimp when it comes to scissors; I use old scissors/inexpensive scissors for cutting materials that abuse the edge, not my good ones. I make some of my other tools (bodkins, hair stackers, hackle guards for example) & innovate with things like material clamps (cheap hair clips are handy). Also among my spendy tools are Petijean clamps & foam cutter "specialty" tools, but I tied the same patterns without such devices for many years. In my old age, I've spoiled myself on occasion, lol. Whenever you have an opportunity to sit-down with or observe an experienced hand - do so. There is also a wealth of Youtube videos that are quite informative. There are 2 kinds of flies: flies that catch fish and those that catch fishermen; focus on the first type. as the second kind will come over time. Enjoy!

Steve Saville

Just a short note; Every other week, Thomas and Rhuben Lamphere host a free tying night at Puget Sound Fly Company in Tacoma from 6-8 or so. They are both really good tiers and very good instructors. You would always be welcome to sit in, watch, tie, learn, etc., no strings attached.

Mark Mercer

All great suggestions, classes will shorten the curve but with youtube and practice you'll get it down. I taught myself from old books from the public library many years ago. Have fun with it and tie as often as you can.... Then get out and fish them !!! Good luck

freestonebound

All great suggestions, classes will shorten the curve but with youtube and practice you'll get it down. I taught myself from old books from the public library many years ago. Have fun with it and tie as often as you can.... Then get out and fish them !!! Good luck
Youtube is a godsend. Not just for fly tying but for getting better at practically anything.

Latest posts