Snake guides vs single foot ?

What knots and loops are you passing?
A replaceable tip fly line with loop to loop connections doesn't pass through single foot wire guides very well. I re-wrapped an 8wt with snakes and the line 'catching' was much improved.
I use single foot wire guides on all my 5wts and they work great with WF lines. Weight isn't really the benefit but it does have 1/2 the wraps.

Half the wraps is a plus...but a pain in the ass to tape on the blank while wrapping. I've done several graphite and a few bamboo...my friend did one and said screw this...gave me the rest of his single foot stock! Try it and see if you like it...

I do both depending on what I want out of the rod. Single foots will soften a fast action rod or snakes can stiffen a bit. (within reason)

They both have their merits...taping singles on the blank isn't a big deal. They are easy peasy vs wrapping sz 4 micro guides on a bass rod.

They both have their merits...taping singles on the blank isn't a big deal. They are easy peasy vs wrapping sz 4 micro guides on a bass rod.[/QUOTE]

So what's your trick to taping? A size 1/0 single foot doesn't have much room for tape.....

jim52

Many thanks to e everyone... a fellow built me a 4 wt .. it screams . He used a striping guide. Then a snake guide followed by single foot guides. .. I thought it was rather strange ,.. but the rod casts great ...
in the past I've used a dot of super glue to hold the guide on before wrapping.. literally a pin head drop ..

They both have their merits...taping singles on the blank isn't a big deal. They are easy peasy vs wrapping sz 4 micro guides on a bass rod.
So what's your trick to taping? A size 1/0 single foot doesn't have much room for tape.....[/QUOTE]

1/8" tape is typically what I use. If one is being a really big pain then a tiny bit of hot glue will do the trick. I try to avoid the hot glue though as it's harder to manipulate after wrapping...to insure they are all inline if I have to glue them in place though.

Pros are quick to wrap, shoots line better than snakes, lighter. Con's break easier when bushwacking, ice up quicker, doesn't pass loops as well. I am sure I am missing a few of both.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I love single foots on 5wts and lower. I also just use thin tape to hold them in place prior to wrapping, and haven’t had much problem. Just wrap the tape as close to the hoop as possible and you can get about half the foot wrapped before removing the tape. I’ve never used glue or anything else. I’ve also never had a single guide come loose so that’s not an issue for me. I say give them a shot and see what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwg

I use single foots and was taught to use tiny rubber bands made by cutting surgical tubing

Works fine and they are secure enough to line your rod, test cast, adjust guide positions, etc

When wrapping , once the guide is secure cut the rubber band

Jay

I've never used single-foots; I know many do and have good reasons...I think it's just the traditionalist in me. Single-foots remind too much of spinning rods, I guess.

Latest posts