Gaelforce Equalizer 63' line demo program by RedShed

4sallypat

It's my first time delving into long belly lines...
Just got in a pair of demo Gaelforce Equalizer 63' lines for my Echo 10wt 15' stick.
Got in these demo lines: 9/10 756gr and 10/11 802gr...

Has anyone tried / own this line ?

Love their demo program - get to test out lines to see if it loads and casts properly before you sink your hard earned cash!

Poppy even includes a line winder which is great because the loosely coiled demo line is prone to tangles if you don't use the winder to wind onto your reel!

I did not expect the running line to be integrated with the head - I assumed I was getting the only the head.
So now I have to pull off the Lazar shooting line and mate the integrated line onto my backing...

Really hoping one of them will work on my Echo TR 10150 rod....
If it does, Poppy included a set of brand new in box lines for purchase....

Just the cost of the return shipping for the demo lines is great way to find the line you want to buy!
Super neat program!

This line will be on my big water rod as I was hating the amount of shooting line I have to pull back in before casting - hoping this line will be less stripping and more fishing...

Will report back with results after the pond cast testing..
ZlZJBP.jpg

cmann886

I have used the program as well to test the Galeforce and ballistic launcher lines. I opted for the 54 foot to test.

When I bite the bullet for a longer line, it will be the Galeforce. It is a bit harder to cast than my nextcast steelhead finder which is shorter and the easiest casting line I've ever used but for its length the Galeforce 54 foot line was fantastic. I expect that you will really like these lines.

doublespey

Steelhead-a-holic
I bought the 63' 9/10wt Gaelforce line from Poppy a couple months ago. Outstanding line - probably the best mid-long belly line I've tested in recent years. Good running line too - otherwise I would have cut it off and looped on one of my favorites. You won't be disappointed!

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
I have that line, casts and more importantly fishes great. Had to put it away in the wind though. They are EU rated so most people would probably find the 10/11 is a better fit, but you never know. It has a long rear taper and is integrated so you can vary over hang a lot to adjust the feel of it as well.

Last edited:

Klickrolf

What is the difference between EU rated lines and rods and US same? I haven't seen it, heard of it for years but never experienced it, is it a newer thing? Most of my early spey experience was with cheap UK made rods. I used lines that agreed with rod rating (on blank) and they worked great once I figured it out.

Do UK made lines and rods require lighter lines? I don't know but I don't think so. Maybe Gaelforce but not Airflo. Haven't cast a Gaelforce line but think I'd like them, especially with a long rear taper. Is the rating really different? Mostly just curious.

4sallypat

I have that line, casts and more importantly fishes great. Had to put it away in the wind though. They are EU rated so most people would probably find the 10/11 is a better fit, but you never know. It has a long rear taper and is integrated so you can vary over hang a lot to adjust the feel of it as well.
Thanks, that explains why Poppy sent both lines to test out - seems heavy compared to the skagit max long line I was using (750gr).
The 10/11 is 802gr which is half a rod weight higher but then if it is a Euro spec then it should load fine ??

Yes, I noticed the head to running line transition is quite long - not used to that much overhang.
I am spooling up both lines and will be test casting this weekend with my instructor.

Big Tuna

What is the difference between EU rated lines and rods and US same? I haven't seen it, heard of it for years but never experienced it, is it a newer thing? Most of my early spey experience was with cheap UK made rods. I used lines that agreed with rod rating (on blank) and they worked great once I figured it out.

Do UK made lines and rods require lighter lines? I don't know but I don't think so. Maybe Gaelforce but not Airflo. Haven't cast a Gaelforce line but think I'd like them, especially with a long rear taper. Is the rating really different? Mostly just curious.

Different rating systems so UK lines tend to run one weight lighter as a general rule.

Klickrolf

Seems interesting to me that Gaelforce is using the same belly length (63') in the 9/10 & 10/11.
That's not what we usually see, or maybe I'm too wrapped up in Airflo & Nextcast? I like the fact both are 63', hmm maybe that's why it's called the Equilizer? I've looked at these lines on Poppy's site but never pulled the trigger, probably because I haven't really looked for lines after finding the original Delta MT and WA45.

When I think about it I've always gone for the heavier line option, i.e. 8/9 line on an 8wt. or 9/10 for a 9wt rod. Maybe that partially explains UK lines being lighter, for me at least.

4sallypat

Just finished spooling up the demo lines onto my reels.
Casting the Echo 15' 10wt rod with my instructor this weekend.

gALvmN.jpg

Chawhee

Seems interesting to me that Gaelforce is using the same belly length (63') in the 9/10 & 10/11.
That's not what we usually see, or maybe I'm too wrapped up in Airflo & Nextcast? I like the fact both are 63', hmm maybe that's why it's called the Equilizer? I've looked at these lines on Poppy's site but never pulled the trigger, probably because I haven't really looked for lines after finding the original Delta MT and WA45.

When I think about it I've always gone for the heavier line option, i.e. 8/9 line on an 8wt. or 9/10 for a 9wt rod. Maybe that partially explains UK lines being lighter, for me at least.

They do that for all the weights, for both the 54 footer and 63 footer.

I think that in the United States, rods are becoming more homologous in terms of rod weight and length. Your run of the mill 7 wt is 13', and you don't start to see the 15' rods until you are in the 9/10/11 wt range.

Last edited:

4sallypat

Yesterday, I got test out the 2 demo Gaelforce lines from Red Shed.

As a result of test casting by 2 pros (IFFF THCI and Spey-O-Rama contestant) who casts longer belly lines....
From both demo lines test casted: 9/10 and 10/11 lines on my Echo TR 10150 rod, we have concluded that the Gaelforce 9/10 (756gr) line worked the best.
The 9/10 line was the best at lift, sweep, and roll for aerial casts with about 1' overhang.

50 grain heavier 10/11 line did cast but I had to put the head into the top rod guides in order to lift and sweep.
Definitely more difficult with the heavier line on the Echo rod - felt like lifting a 2x4 instead of a rod...

Here's a picture of the Spey O Rama pro test casting the Gaelforce line and Echo TR rod:
vZUcEJ.jpg

Had quite a small crowd watching a pro cast a longer belly line - everyone else was either a SH or skagit two hander....
The winning line for my rod:
irbocr.jpg

Thanks for everyone's input!

Now I get to return the demo lines and spend $135 for the Gaelforce 63' 9/10 (never spent that much on a line) that mates well with my big water stick!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts