Trip Report Saving some fish, seasonal bucket biology

Buzzy

If we could only get you to expand your fry (and/or smolt) rescue work to the entire drainage and then, perhaps, to other drainages, you might effect an increase in ROR! :rolleyes: Seriously though, nice effort!

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
Thanks for the kind words, just hoping that maybe someone else in my situation will get the opportunity to help out some stranded fish.
Each one counts !

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
I was fishing the Sultan river one winter day and I sat down on a gravel bar to rest my back. I saw a small fish flopping around. So I picked it up, It was about an inch long and it must of just came out of a redd. It had a slit on it's belly where the egg sack was once at. I put it back into the river and watched it swim away.
It is a great feeling to help stranded wildlife do their thing! The one fish you saved, Old Man, might be 10 generation, 30 generations indebted to you.

Last edited:

FinLuver

Nice work!!

Does the fish and game consider that..."illegal transportation of fish from one body of water to another?"
Just curious...

(ps: I know this type of activity, in "conjunction with the approval" of fish and game, is done on the upper Deschutes. But, what about "private enterprises"...?)

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
Nice work!!

Does the fish and game consider that..."illegal transportation of fish from one body of water to another?"
Just curious...

(ps: I know this type of activity, in "conjunction with the approval" of fish and game, is done on the upper Deschutes. But, what about "private enterprises"...?)
I see it akin to moving a live animal off the road so it does not get run over

Upton O

Blind hog fisherman
Had similar experience on a duck club I hunted for years near Chehalis. The pastures and cultivated fields would flood and, upon draining , salmon parr would be trapped in small pools, usually rutted tractor tracks. It was a startling lesson in the value of the year around full ditches that crisscrossed the area which were spawning habitat. The trapped salmon were easily scooped and tossed the five to eight feed back to deep water. In the grand scheme of things it didn’t amount to much but my conscience was clear.

Latest posts