Carbon river

Mark Kadoshima

I'm new to river fishing, but really enjoy and have learned a lot reading all your threads. Figure about time I started contributing for whatever it's worth. I get out about every weekend.
Fished the Carbon above Orting this morning. Beautiful water, green and clear. Had a couple runs all to myself. Didn't see any fish (although I'm not very good at sighting fish yet) and no hookups although can't beat three hours of swinging flies in the morning!
A question I have is I was using a 7 wt switch rod (11'6'')and the river is only maybe 60 feet across, and the good water was sometimes right at my feet. Should I bring my single hand 8wt or 6 wt next time? I've never caught a steelhead before, so want to try to release it as healthy as possible, but I felt like I was doing some overkill. Any input is appreciated.

Peyton00

Its better in the area east of town and farther down river(north).
U should be into coho this time of year.
Steelhead are very scarce and wild or strays.

Enjoy, its a beautiful river this time of year.

If ya see guys swinging spoons and spinner.....they are often productive, make a note of the slots.

Good luck!

Mark Kadoshima

Thanks for the info! The wife is giving me a hallpass for tomorrow morning (bless her heart!)....gonna have to give it a try.
I'm practicing for some solo trips to the OP. Is it a total waist of time until January?

dustinchromers

I'm new to river fishing, but really enjoy and have learned a lot reading all your threads. Figure about time I started contributing for whatever it's worth. I get out about every weekend.
Fished the Carbon above Orting this morning. Beautiful water, green and clear. Had a couple runs all to myself. Didn't see any fish (although I'm not very good at sighting fish yet) and no hookups although can't beat three hours of swinging flies in the morning!
A question I have is I was using a 7 wt switch rod (11'6'')and the river is only maybe 60 feet across, and the good water was sometimes right at my feet. Should I bring my single hand 8wt or 6 wt next time? I've never caught a steelhead before, so want to try to release it as healthy as possible, but I felt like I was doing some overkill. Any input is appreciated.

You're fine with that rod. On smaller rivers use shorter lines. This is especially true for salmon as you can hook a good number on the strip back in to recast. Also shorter lines take less mending to keep them moving slow in cold winter conditions. This is also an advantage when runs are tight and excessive mending wrecks a presentation. I like the airflo scout allot for rods they size. Mileage will vary but that's my advice.

Phil Fravel

Friendly
I was the guy who came down and said hi to ya yesterday. The Carbon is a great place to prsctice. The set up you were using is perfect for that river. As far as where you were standing. In those situations do not wade. Yesterday was not realy a problem though because you had a guy wading 40 to 60 feet below you

Mark Kadoshima

Thanks for advice guys. Went out today too. Seahawks are getting crushed...could've stayed out longer! The casting is getting better...just gotta slowww dowwn.....Now I have to start figuring out the different sink tips and MOW tips. I saw a couple coho brought in this morning on the Puyallup. Looked like decent color too.

dustinchromers

Thanks for advice guys. Went out today too. Seahawks are getting crushed...could've stayed out longer! The casting is getting better...just gotta slowww dowwn.....Now I have to start figuring out the different sink tips and MOW tips. I saw a couple coho brought in this morning on the Puyallup. Looked like decent color too.

Get a slow and fast poly leader. One t-8, one t-11 or 12 and call it good. Start with those four in ten foot lengths. When you need more you will know and know by then what you want. I carry the above plus a clear intermediate tip as my kit most the time most seasons. You don't need allot of tips as you can fish what you have differently to obtain different depths. Hell for salmon I fish a floater 75 percent of the time. For summer steelhead nearly all the time. Just remember that part of the Zen and enjoyment of fly fishing is in the simplicity and light packing.

Mark Kadoshima

Tried the Carbon again a couple days ago, running a lot higher and faster. I was mainly practicing with my 7wt switch so had a lot of fun. With my casting abilities, the river was just wide enough to require my better casts to reach the good water if on the other side. Brought my dog with me....gotta admit since this spey casting is new to me...my dog was a lot safer! No fish..but also no other fisherman. Great time.
Puyallup was busy though...are the gear guys fishing for steelhead? Saw guys swinging spoons (which looked like fun!) but then saw the usual bobbers too. So cold didn't ask them. No hookups.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts