Where are the chrome pigs?

chromie

HB's are around. This one took me to within 25 feet of reaching the backing and leapt once. He also nutted everywhere.

View attachment 157682
I'd put money on those being a particular N Puget Sound system summer run. We would always call those "swinters." Summer steelhead doing final migration during winter steelhead time.

Summer steelhead would enter late June-July 4th on average and migrate through the mainstem and forks and hold until fall. Depending on fall rains, late september/october we would catch quite a few of these summer fish migrating up to the hatchery. By the end of the chum run and into December, the leftovers were those that had spent their fat reserves and were approaching the end of their life cycle.

Cool to see those are still around. Can be a fun fish to catch during summer/ early fall.

It can and does happen, you just need to leave the gear rods at home....and endeavor to keep the faith.
That's my biggest issue. I've really committed to fly fishing only so far this winter, even if that does mean I'm missing a few fish here and there... which is my OCD worry I guess. The fish I might be missing often haunt me as much as those I hook and lose.

Tim Ihle

That's my biggest issue. I've really committed to fly fishing only so far this winter, even if that does mean I'm missing a few fish here and there... which is my OCD worry I guess. The fish I might be missing often haunt me as much as those I hook and lose.
Gotta make peace with it and accept it, then and only then will you fish freely and break your bait soakin’ gear chuckin’ ways. Do not be seduced by baits that smell like bacterial vaginitis. I know it can be tough...

Latest posts