Fly Rod Custom Modifications

AndrewDC

I have a Sage One rod that I picked up on clearance for about $420. It's a 9.5', 6 weight and I really like the rod. I really would have liked the version with the fighting butt, but I hadn't tried out the rod before and did not want to pay a lot more for the fighting butt. Now that I have decided I really like the rod, I realize that I am not crazy about the half-wells grip that Sage put on there. My hands are not huge, but the grip is pretty small. So I am wondering if anyone has experience sending off a rod to a rodsmith to have a new grip put on and/or a fighting butt added. I know that Sage would probably replace a grip if it were damaged, but I doubt they are going to do any customizations for me. I am trying to get a sense of how much it would cost to do these modifications, so that I can see if it may make more sense to just sell this rod and buy the fighting butt version.

Bjorn

WFF Supporter
The Fly Fisher in Lacey Wa has done mods to my rods, including adding fighting butts, at reasonable prices.

mbowers

It would void the warranty I think.
I think it would only void the warranty on the grip itself which is obviously fair cuz Sage didn't make the grip. I've sent in rods that I have repaired broken tips and replaced guides with better guides. It's never been a problem I just get the factory standard options back on the new piece..

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

weiliwen

Kicked
You could always call Sage at their HQ. When I broke my LL, they were very helpful on the phone.

The worst they can say is "No, putting a new grip on will completely void the warranty." I suspect that they will not say that. At any rate, I don't think you can lose by making the call.

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
My brother has sent a couple of rods to Steve Godshall to have handles replaced. He does a marvelous job on the handles and can do whatever you want. He works out of Bob Meiser's shop in Oregon. Each new handle costs around $125 if you can handle that much of an addition to your rod. I'd contact him.

AndrewDC

Thanks for all the suggestions guys and for flagging the possible issue about warranty coverage. I am not in a rush so I think I will watch for a couple weeks and see if I can pick up a used factory rod with fighting butt for a reasonable price and then resell mine. If I don't see anything decent I will look into the customization options further.

Bjorn

WFF Supporter
I had a short screw on FB made for a 10 ft loomis rod. I like it a lot more now and it was pretty cheap to get done. These days shipping has gotten a lot more expensive so look for a local shop if one exists.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info