First spey rod questions

I'm looking to get into spey style casting for steelhead and salmon once I move out to Washington. Iv been doing a bit of research over the past few weeks on rods/reels/lines and would like to ensure I purchase the correct weight/length rod. My budget is 600ish for the rod or 3-400 for used depending on condition. As of right now I'm leaning towards a TFO or Misner as my first rod. I will be located in the
Tacoma area and don't have any issue driving 2 hours.

Thanks for your help

Karbo

I would pick up the new 8wt Echo swing. It is a slower rod from today's standards and comes with the best warranty on the market & makes for a nice relaxed day of casting. Don't get me wrong Mr Meiser makes a fantastic rod that can be found used for around $500-600 (Yes sometimes cheaper before I get corrected) however you have to be quick on the ball for them kind of deals. For a first rod I would go with a cheaper one encase you find swinging ain't for you. Once you are hooked then drop the $$$. I would suggest giving Poppy at red shed in Idaho a call. He could get you lined up and dialed in with a full set up for around $600.00-/+ He has a massive amount of knowledge stored in that legendary beard.

4sallypat

I would pick up the new 8wt Echo swing. It is a slower rod from today's standards and comes with the best warranty on the market & makes for a nice relaxed day of casting. Don't get me wrong Mr Meiser makes a fantastic rod that can be found used for around $500-600 (Yes sometimes cheaper before I get corrected) however you have to be quick on the ball for them kind of deals. For a first rod I would go with a cheaper one encase you find swinging ain't for you. Once you are hooked then drop the $$$. I would suggest giving Poppy at red shed in Idaho a call. He could get you lined up and dialed in with a full set up for around $600.00-/+ He has a massive amount of knowledge stored in that legendary beard.
Yes, the Echo Swing rod is amazing!
Very forgiving yet casts a mile with a Rage head I tried out at our clubhouse.
Very affordable price on the rod, coupled with an Echo Ion reel for $100 plus a line from Poppy @ Red Shed = $500 or less!

BTW: Poppy @ Red Shed is amazing - try and demo lines out first before you buy - it's a great program because every rod is different even from the line grain markings on the rod. Look at my happy find when I tested out lines from Red Shed:
http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...-demo-program-by-redshed.136184/#post-1342890

Salmo_g

. . . would like to ensure I purchase the correct weight/length rod.
Correct is going to be subjective, but you'll get a lot of advice regarding a 13' Spey in 7 or 8 weight that will make an excellent choice for a first Spey rod. Lines are a subject unto themselves and far more subjective. I'm partial to short belly Spey lines of about 50 - 55' belly section for floating line fishing and a sort of traditional 27' beer can Skagit head for casting sinking tips. YMMV.

longstick

I would differently check out The new IMX Pro GLoomis Short Speys. They run $575 and are amazing sticks, most our shops around have them or had time with them. If you have any questions, let me know.
Jake

cmann886

I would take a serious look at a Loop Evotech. I just picked up one and it is my new favorite rod. I like the handle, some don’t, and love the progressive taper and MF action. If anything it throws too much line to easily. You can pick up a new one for less than $250 and that leaves you money to by a Nextcast Steelhead finder or Galeforce line and some casting lessons.

beulah 7129 or burkie 7133. will run you about 500-600. If you are mining for steel only: for summer, get a 6wt TH, for winter, get an 8wt TH. If you can only buy one to do it all, the 7wts afore mentioned are very good. If you want to target winter kings, get a 9wt. Don't get talked into another longer than 14ft, period. 13.4 or 13.9 are my max for 8 wts. It will be hard to learn on and there aren't many rivers around here that warrant it.

try before you buy if you can. That Puget Sound fly shop offers demos at the shop, which is nice.

Once you get here, do check with Anil @ Puget Sound Fly Company but for that amount of money, you can find any number of really good rods, new or near new on the big auction site or in the classified forums. I would definitely call Bob Meiser, as well. He will talk to you, answer questions, and build a rod to suit for about the same amount of money. Best to try before you buy and if you're new to spey casting, get a couple of lessons before you buy, watch some video, and read some books so you have an idea of what you are doing. I have numerous rods and access to many more so when you get here, send me a private message and I'd be glad to allow you to try some different rods from 3 wt. to 9 wt. in different lengths and actions before you buy. You don't want to lay out that kind of cash for something you won't like or will outgrow in a short period of time.

Latest posts