What is the best eight weight skagit rod for OP winter steelhead.

Im going to be buying a new dedicated 8 weight Spey rod for winter steelheading on the Olympic Peninsula, and I need some community input on deciding what to buy. I will only be buying either a echo rod or a sage rod in an eight weight. I can buy any of the echo offerings like the Echo 3 or the Echo TR. I also have the option of maybe going up a bit a price and buying a sage rod. I could buy a sage pulse, sage mod, or a sage method. I have the pulse in a single hander, and I love the action. So my question is: out of all of these echo and sage rods, which is the best performer and bang for your buck? I will probably end up getting an echo, just because of the price, but I'm curious to know if anyone here has experience with the pulse in an eight weight and how it stacks up to the mod and method? Also and most importantly, does anyone have any experience with the echo rods, which echo is a better for skagit casting, the echo 3 or the echo TR? Distance casts and ability to turn over tips and heavy flies is the biggest concern. Thanks!

bjornjon

I’ve cast the Echo 3 in the several weights, including 8 weight and thought it was an overall great casting rod. No problem turning over 10’ t-14 and a leech/intruder with ease.

Rob Allen

Im going to be buying a new dedicated 8 weight Spey rod for winter steelheading on the Olympic Peninsula, and I need some community input on deciding what to buy. I will only be buying either a echo rod or a sage rod in an eight weight. I can buy any of the echo offerings like the Echo 3 or the Echo TR. I also have the option of maybe going up a bit a price and buying a sage rod. I could buy a sage pulse, sage mod, or a sage method. I have the pulse in a single hander, and I love the action. So my question is: out of all of these echo and sage rods, which is the best performer and bang for your buck? I will probably end up getting an echo, just because of the price, but I'm curious to know if anyone here has experience with the pulse in an eight weight and how it stacks up to the mod and method? Also and most importantly, does anyone have any experience with the echo rods, which echo is a better for skagit casting, the echo 3 or the echo TR? Distance casts and ability to turn over tips and heavy flies is the biggest concern. Thanks!
CF burkheimer 8133-3

No rod on the planet even comes close.

You cannot ask for the best then only have 2 options of which neither is the best.

dustif2

That dog will hunt.
Rob- I have been looking at saving up for an 8wt burkie and have wondered what the main differences were between the 8133-3 and the 8134-4. Have you cast the 8134-4 and what are your thoughts on the major differences? I played around with the 8134 and really like it. I plan to try both before pulling the trigger on the 8134-4.

Abraham-
Of you your two paths you are looking into, I think the Echo 3 8134 is a great winter run rod.

Andy D

Abraham

Why handicap yourself to just these two manufacturers? Opening up your options might get you fishing sooner and at less money.
Of the options you listed the mod is the best. However at over $1000 it is also the most cost prohibitive.
If price is a priority, scour the classifieds. Reddington makes some of the best casting products at that price point, and can frequently be found for close to $100 for a rod.
Also there is no mod 8wt two hand rid, but the 7130 mod will Handle any steelhead you find out that way.

Good luck
Andy

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

4sallypat

Take a look at the new Echo Swing spey rod - it is amazing !
I test drove it for a day at our club pond and loved it.
Super versatile and can handle scandi, skagit, and even mid belly lines.
Flexes well and can be used for all types of casting from dries to heavy streamers.
For the money, it's much better than my ancient & stiff Echo TR, Ion and Base rods I own!

If you think that distance and turning over the biggest dead chicken you can attach to the end of the line are your primary concerns on the OP you're going to be in for a long winter.

Any of the options you listed are fine choices...but each of them is different in distinct ways. The only way for a beginner to know is to go cast those rods and figure it out. Adding to the complexity is the fact that each of those rods has probably a 75-100 grain line window. You're going to need to try multiple heads on whatever rod you eventually choose in order to find out which one suits your casting/fishing setup the best; 25-30 grains one way or the other or 5' less or more head length can make a huge difference with some setups, especially in the hands of a beginner. As with most things, invest the time and effort and you will reap the rewards.

Rob Allen

Rob- I have been looking at saving up for an 8wt burkie and have wondered what the main differences were between the 8133-3 and the 8134-4. Have you cast the 8134-4 and what are your thoughts on the major differences? I played around with the 8134 and really like it. I plan to try both before pulling the trigger on the 8134-4.

Abraham-
Of you your two paths you are looking into, I think the Echo 3 8134 is a great winter run rod.

Sorry somehow missed this...

8134-4 is faster with a lighter tip great with a 570 and ok with 540 and 600

The 8133-3 is more full flexing with a stronger top end and cast great with 540 _600 maybe even 630.
Both are very easy to cast i just like the 3 piece better

FT

Like Salmo_g,

My reaction is: Only you, the person who wishes to buy the rod, can answer the question of which one is best. Hoot mon man, how can anyone else provide the information for you? And then you limit yourself to 2 manufactures; HUH!!! What about all the others? Limiting yourself to 2 rod manufactures is like limiting yourself to only looking at 2 vehicle manufacturers to decide who makes the best family rig, that is fisherman friendly!?

Rob Allen

Like Salmo_g,

My reaction is: Only you, the person who wishes to buy the rod, can answer the question of which one is best. Hoot mon man, how can anyone else provide the information for you? And then you limit yourself to 2 manufactures; HUH!!! What about all the others? Limiting yourself to 2 rod manufactures is like limiting yourself to only looking at 2 vehicle manufacturers to decide who makes the best family rig, that is fisherman friendly!?
It's easy. You buy a Burkheimer and you buy a Ford.. this whole process is much easier than people think :)

Latest posts