What is the best eight weight skagit rod for OP winter steelhead.

FT

Rob Allen,

What if you find out you prefer a McKenzie and a Land Rover after trying out many more than 2 different manufacturers? In other words, it is BS to tell someone what you prefer is what they should get too.

Just like with a spouse or romantic partner of the opposite sex: Some women like men with long hair, some like men with full beards, some like men who are clean shaven, some like men who are bald. Some men prefer blondes, some brunettes, some red-heads, some are chest men, some are leg men, some like tall women, some like short women, some like women with long hair, some with short hair, etc.

There is also no different when it comes to vehicles: Some like fast sports cars, some want only a practical car that get 30+ mpg, some want a small pickup, some a big 1 ton dually, others something in between, some want an SUV, some just want a wagon, some want a performance coupe, etc. Which is best for a given person? It depends and all of us (including you) know this.

Rob Allen

Rob Allen,

What if you find out you prefer a McKenzie and a Land Rover after trying out many more than 2 different manufacturers? In other words, it is BS to tell someone what you prefer is what they should get too.

Just like with a spouse or romantic partner of the opposite sex: Some women like men with long hair, some like men with full beards, some like men who are clean shaven, some like men who are bald. Some men prefer blondes, some brunettes, some red-heads, some are chest men, some are leg men, some like tall women, some like short women, some like women with long hair, some with short hair, etc.

There is also no different when it comes to vehicles: Some like fast sports cars, some want only a practical car that get 30+ mpg, some want a small pickup, some a big 1 ton dually, others something in between, some want an SUV, some just want a wagon, some want a performance coupe, etc. Which is best for a given person? It depends and all of us (including you) know this.
On one hand. Have a sense of humor.
On another hand. Anyone who wants to get together to compare their 13ft 7wt along side the Burkheimer 7133-3. I'd be all for it.

Rob Allen

Rob Allen,

Ok let me put it this way.

The Burkheimer is the prettiest girl on the planet. She likes everything you like, doesn't talk too much. Loves to fish but won't mind you fishing with other rods. But after a few dates other rods will lose their appeal anyway. She rocks your world every time you cadt her.

Gets the best gas mileage. Has the highest top end speed. The most tork the quietest engine and the most comfortable seats the best sound system and csn travel smoothly on any road surface and just as smoothly when there is no road.

In short nothing else comes close.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Ok let me put it this way.

The Burkheimer is the prettiest girl on the planet. She likes everything you like, doesn't talk too much. Loves to fish but won't mind you fishing with other rods. But after a few dates other rods will lose their appeal anyway. She rocks your world every time you cadt her.

Gets the best gas mileage. Has the highest top end speed. The most tork the quietest engine and the most comfortable seats the best sound system and csn travel smoothly on any road surface and just as smoothly when there is no road.

In short nothing else comes close.

Only in your mind, :cool:

Sorry somehow missed this...

8134-4 is faster with a lighter tip great with a 570 and ok with 540 and 600

The 8133-3 is more full flexing with a stronger top end and cast great with 540 _600 maybe even 630.
Both are very easy to cast i just like the 3 piece better
Rob -
Thanks for your experience regarding the differences between these two rods as asked and specifically for adding the line weight recommendation. This will help me tune my outfit (and casting style).

Tim Ihle

Some believe the DeathStar is by which all are measure for pulling winter hog while other believe it matters not the rod but the casters ability. Generally, a nice stiff pole will allow you to get better work done than a limp noodle will when it comes to slingin’ tips and big flies. Personally, I think a guy needs multiple rods AND different rods for summer than in winter - a good stiff member for winter and a softer one for the sultry days of summer slingin the dry line.

Last edited:

Latest posts