Winston vs Beulah vs Burkheimer...

I'm am looking to replace a 7wt that just ain't my cup of tea. I have it posted in the classifieds, (wink wink nudge nudge). Love my Beulah Onyx's and Winston micro spey with skagit heads and am currently interested to see what Burkheimer offers. I've narrowed it down to three. Any thoughts or opinions on similarities/contrasts of these three? Any input is appreciated:

1)Beulah Onyx 7137
2)Winston BIII TH 7133
3)Burkheimer 7134

I have owned a few Beulahs and Winstons and enjoyed all rods from both companies, but haven't owned nor cast the two you mention. Having said that, it is pretty tough to beat the 7134 Burkie as an all-around northwest steelhead rod. I fish it summer and winter with scandi lines from 460-480 and skagits around 540, plus Nextcast lines around 510 grains(FF45 and Steelhead Finder FI). It casts all line systems very well and is a joy to fish and cast. It's smooth, powerful, loads deep, and generates great line speed. It's fun with fish from 6lbs into the teens. I typically carry two rods with on trips and 90% of the time this is one of the two, only leaving it home when I fish smaller rivers and opt for shorter rods. I think it would be hard to go wrong with any of the rods you mention.

Tim Ihle

Those are all very nice rods and all will perform, are beautifully made, and a joy to fish. I have cast #2 and own #3. Do yourself a favor and cast them, look at them, feel them ...and then decide. If you don’t you will likely regret not having done so. Most of what you hear on this forum will be heavily weighted with opinion and personal favor. You would be happy with any of them provided you spend the time and cement your muscle memory and timing—which is very important.

Get the Burkheimer. Great rods, great builds and great customer service. Beulah's are nice rods, but if you break a rod and they don't have the part, you'll have to wait for it to come from overseas. Burkheimer rolls his blanks in house, so if you break a rod they will be able to replace the part the quickest. Winston? Ehhh.
Tight lines,
Keith

Chawhee

Would also like to know.
I wonder why you would like to know.

I say None of these because I have experience with them all.

- The Winston is too cookie cutter. If you pick up the both the 7 and 8 weight, you can see they use the exact same grip and seat. there were considerations given to how the heavier weight/ action would change deflection and as a result, the 8 wt. rod feels awkward like the cork .

- The Beluah Onyx is a nice rod. Light in hand and casts very well. There is just enough bend in the butt-section so you can feel the rod loading, but not too much to buckle it if you give her the beans. However, you will not see me pay that much money for a rod made entirely overseas made with off the shelf graphite pre-preg.

- People in the spey game love Burkie rods, and some of their rods are phenomenal. For me,I think their Sea-Trout line is THE BEST application specific rods in those weights because they are so niche. They most certainly are the works of a master craftsman. But I don't need the burnt cork, extra fancy reelseats or extra resin for elaborate inlays or thread wraps. Too much weight.

There are better rods out there in that price range. They are lighter, with better warranties and use better graphites/resins . I know most people say to balance the heavier rods with a heavier reel, But I would rather have a lighter rod that feels crisper at the stop. Not only that, but you feel everything while the fly is swinging, there is no dullness of feedback.

However at the end of the day, I am not you and don't know your preferences. It has been said above, you have to cast them with different grain weights and with different heads to see what works for you. Why are you limiting yourself to the three brands? There are many cases (such as the 8wt Winston) where some of the other models are good, but some just aren't.

Why are you limiting yourself to the three brands? There are many cases (such as the 8wt Winston) where some of the other models are good, but some just aren't.
Thanks for you reply and input! The reason I have looked at these three is because I'm trying to get something similar/relative to rods I already have and like very much (Beulah Onyx 5124, 7129, Winston BIIITH MS, Loomis IMX Pro). This is based off of how others describe and relate said rods on this forum and others. I've had rods that were faster/stiffer like Sage's Deathstar, Redington's Chromer, and they just weren't my cup of tea. The rods I listed in this reply are definitely more my speed. I threw the Burkie in there mostly because I was curious to see if was even close.

I agree with you that I should cast them first, but I live in AZ and there are no fly shops with spey rods, no claves and nothing even close if I was willing to drive. So, that's why I am here trying to get some insight. Some other members here have already PM'ed me with fantastic detail and comparisons on the rods listed and even gave me something to think about; now considering the Asquith. If you have suggestions on others, I'd be up for hearing more about them. Thanks again for the input.

Chawhee

Thanks for you reply and input! The reason I have looked at these three is because I'm trying to get something similar/relative to rods I already have and like very much (Beulah Onyx 5124, 7129, Winston BIIITH MS, Loomis IMX Pro). This is based off of how others describe and relate said rods on this forum and others. I've had rods that were faster/stiffer like Sage's Deathstar, Redington's Chromer, and they just weren't my cup of tea. The rods I listed in this reply are definitely more my speed. I threw the Burkie in there mostly because I was curious to see if was even close.

I agree with you that I should cast them first, but I live in AZ and there are no fly shops with spey rods, no claves and nothing even close if I was willing to drive. So, that's why I am here trying to get some insight. Some other members here have already PM'ed me with fantastic detail and comparisons on the rods listed and even gave me something to think about; now considering the Asquith. If you have suggestions on others, I'd be up for hearing more about them. Thanks again for the input.

Asquith for sure. I have the 15' 9/10 wt and nothing comes close except the nrx. Especially in the warranty Dept. Next day air new rod.

Latest posts