Rain and risers

mike doughty

Honorary Member
For the experts out there, could someone tell me if the rain has an effect on hatches and the fish riseing? i arrived on the lower provo this morning and there was a pretty good midge hatch happening with a few fish rising. i got into a few fish during the first hour or so and then it started to rain. i noticed only one rise every couple of minutes but there were still quite a few midges and of course my hookups became very scarse. could this have been because of the rain or something else? my frien says that bass seem to get more active when it rains, is this not true for trout? do they get turned off? :confused:

Well,I'm no expert,but yesterday we were fishing Pass Lake and only had a few strikes all morning. It was overcast but not raining. Well, it started to rain about 2PM and we started catching some nice 18" rainbows.I noticed others on the lake were also landing fish, who were more or less idle before that. The rain died down and so did the action. I've had many occasions to fish in the rain and have had some good luck

Al

mr trout

Trevor Hutton
From my knowledge/experience rain can be a help or a hindrance. A light rain/high humidity level can slow down the wings drying on newly hatched flies and/or knock down flying insects resulting in bugs being on the water longer, and more cripples etc. However, a very heavy rain (aside form being downright unpleasant) can effect the hatch and the fish. In my experience, it takes quite a bit of rain to drastically effect things negatively, and only a little to help out. Then again, nothing is ever truly certain in fishing, eh? :clown:

I haven't fished the lower since the Baetis started hatching, but I hope you stuck around until 1:00 - 3:00 if it's anything like the middle provo. Baetis hatches the last three weekends during that time frame have been thick and the fish have been onto them pretty good.

For mayflies, it seems a little rain or sleet or snow this time of year makes the hatches last a little longer and maybe be just a little heavier.

Steve Buckner

Mother Nature's Son
Rainy days have been some of my best. Mayflies hatch best when it's cloudy and/or overcast and drizzly. Less intense light from cloud cover also helps I'm sure. Another theory I've heard is that the surface tension is somewhat less, making it potentially more comfortable for the fish in some respect. Theories abound, but I'll choose a rainy day for my fishing if I can.

mike doughty

Honorary Member
From reading all of this i don't know what to say then, because it seemed like the fish quite, i left about 1pm because that's when my ride came to pick me up, car is still broke down in the canyon, last time out i saw some BWO'S but not this time.

Well, what I have noticed is that when there is a little ripple on the surface of a lake, or raindrops disrupting the surface, the fish are less spooky and become more confident in feeding. Maybe because they cant see stuff out of the water?

Tight Lines,

Dupee