Epigenetics and hatcheries

Rob Allen

Salmo you call me closed minded every time you disagree with me.

Studying hatcheries and hatchery fish could lead to currently unknown useful things that are unknowable today. Fishery genetic information is exploding at an exponential pace. There's a ton of good that can come from that, all without trying to replace wild salmon and steelhead. There are other species of fish too, ya' know.
Exploding you say.. that's really too bad cause the money could have been spent on habitat or monitoring.
Washington state steelhead plan calls for a HOS rate of 10% or less yet we in most cases we have no clue what the actual rate it.. getting that information to guide hatchery practices is far more important than gaining a deeper understanding of why hatcheries fail.. Even if they found a silver bullet for hatcheries there is no money for the needed changes. Hell there is barely money to keep them operating.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
Sorry Salmo not agreeing with you is not the definition of closed mindedness.
Hatcheries are never going to be operated in such a way as to increase survival while reducing impacts on wild stocks.
It's time to stop pretending that there is a magic bullet to fix hatcheries. Especially when we don't have the money to act on what we already know.
Knowledge for it's own sake is pointless.
You have to be able to demonstrate how that knowledge is useful before it's of any value.
We spend way too much money in science that adds no value to society.
Fortunatly this study is Canadian so they didn't spend my money to do it.

As for here in WA. We need to be spending our money monitoring what we have already done to determine if it's been of any value.
The definition of being closed minded is, "a person who is closed minded." And, Rob, it is you.

Rob Allen

Well I'd like to thank closed minded fisheries scientists who can't get their head out of the test tube and have derailed salmon recovery.

jwg

Well I'd like to thank closed minded fisheries scientists who can't get their head out of the test tube and have derailed salmon recovery.
Neither my original post nor the study I cited were about anyone trying to make hatcheries work.

Rather these studies will help to make a stronger case for why hatcheries wont work in getting hatchery reared fish to sustain populations.

Although you may already be convinced of this, there are still many who are not yet convinced. In a rational world, more scientific knowledge would help make the case.

There was plenty of evidence for continental drift, such as matching rocks on continents now separated by the Atlantic Ocean, but it was not accepted as truth until there was a way to understand it based on plate tectonics.

These studies not only lead to new knowledge, they can influence people by providing understanding.

More broadly, epigenetics has a huge influence on human health and better understanding will lead to better health in the future.

J

Latest posts