Let's see your favorite fish of the year

Jojo

Reaching mid-point of year..Summer solstice.. I am ready to see fine handled, C & R shots of some salmonids
of 2018 ! With all that is happening in the world, never too early to get into some pretty fish.

And, like in the other discussion, human-less as possible, is best, or fine handling skills a big +.
Hero mugshots.. get a -

Jojo can add a photo of a cradled refreshment of choice : ).. (hi Jojo!)

Dryflylarry and his native cutthroat, not long back, was a total winner so far, for me. My favorite type of fish and it was handled little as possible.... nice work!
Hey gyrfalcon! I was just thinking about you and wondering where you were!

DimeBrite

MA-9 Beach Stalker
My most memorable bonefish of 2018. I briefly spotted it as a phantom patch of color 80 feet out. Then the sun went dark with cloud. Just in case it was a fish, I sent a long cast to the area, let the coral worm fly sink, and began my retrieve. After a few strips, the sun returned and I saw two nice bonefish following my fly. One pounced on the fly and I strip set. The water erupted and the fun began.
20180620_220645.jpg

I'm starting to understand the joy of bonefishing.

Last edited:
Spring chinook on the fly. The one fish in freshwater that gives me the same rush I get offshore. Solid work and a great pic to boot!
Alas, not on the fly. I've done OK fly fishing on fall salmon but not springers. That was a gear-caught fish (centerpin). I have had some of the most frustrating fishing days of my life trying to get a springer to bite a fly, even a fly tied to look like a spoon... However, trying to land a 20lb+ springer about a couple miles from the ocean with a free-spooling 'pin is pretty fun. Except for the bruised and bleeding thumb knuckle.

I'll get one on a fly someday but not this season. Still my favorite landed fish.

Alas, not on the fly. I've done OK fly fishing on fall salmon but not springers. That was a gear-caught fish (centerpin). I have had some of the most frustrating fishing days of my life trying to get a springer to bite a fly, even a fly tied to look like a spoon... However, trying to land a 20lb+ springer about a couple miles from the ocean with a free-spooling 'pin is pretty fun. Except for the bruised and bleeding thumb knuckle.

I'll get one on a fly someday but not this season. Still my favorite landed fish.
Awesome fish regardless. Center pin would definitely be the fun way to go with gear.

I've pulled it off on fly gear a couple times, but only after putting in a ton of hours. I've had some memorable butt-kickings using a floating line at the head of a pool first thing in the morning. Working the seam with a weighted bugger or similar fly.