Help lining a SAGE RPL 390-2

SalterLee

WFF Supporter
Picked up this rod as a light pocket water nymph / soft hackle swinging / no wind dry fly rod. I've only ever cast the heavier RPLs 790-4 or 8100-3 - So i'm curious if anyone has any favorite lines for the lighter RPLs 3-5wt). My first impulse is just to get a RIO Gold WF3F and be good with it, but I'm curious about the RIO LT WF, Wulff Triangle Taper, Air Flo, 406, SA and anything else that people like on the RPL series. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Nooksack Mac

I notice you are thinking of weight forward lines. We're about two generations into fly fishers who have never tried a double taper line. Believe it or not, but a DT3F would be perfect for that rod and pocket picking (or flat water) at usually, well under 60 feet or so. Not as good - better.

SalterLee

WFF Supporter
@Nooksack Mac Thanks for the input. I do have some DT lines that I use on my Steffen 5/6 and was curious about one for this rod. Thanks for chiming in. I'd love to try a DT on this rod and will add this to the list.

Richard E

Picked up this rod as a light pocket water nymph / soft hackle swinging / no wind dry fly rod. I've only ever cast the heavier RPLs 790-4 or 8100-3 - So i'm curious if anyone has any favorite lines for the lighter RPLs 3-5wt). My first impulse is just to get a RIO Gold WF3F and be good with it, but I'm curious about the RIO LT WF, Wulff Triangle Taper, Air Flo, 406, SA and anything else that people like on the RPL series. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Pocket water and nymphing = short casts and sometimes limited casting room. Get the line that will load it up the quickest and easiest in close distances.

SA GPX (actually MPX) or Wulff TT. You’ll be happy with your choice and won’t wish you had bought something else...

SalterLee

WFF Supporter
Lots of great feedback here. Thanks for all the responses to my inquiry. Excited to find some of these lines and do some experimenting.

nb_ken

A while back I got a deal on an RPL 2 wt blank and tried my hand at wrapping a rod. I failed miserably. Rod looks like crap.

Looks aside though, it's the best small stream rod I've owned, before or since. I've tried to replace it with at least a half dozen different 2 and 3 wts of various pedigrees and have found none better. And, while experimenting with other rods, I played with different lines as well. WF2F, WF3F, DT2F, DT3F, TT2F, TT3F. That RPL has never barked about any of them.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts