Skagit workshops announced

chromie

I was afraid this would happen. Occupy Skagit worked to get the season opened presumably under the original selective fishery rules. If it gets held up it will because there will be too many differing opinions on who can fish; how you can fish; where you can fish; what you can fish from; what color your skin is; when you can fish; what gear you can use; ad infinitum; and ad nauseum . . .

Leland.
There’s a way to meet everyone’s objectives.

Quit splitting hairs on methods of fishing and focus on monitoring with adaptive management for full closures both spacially and temporally (as Smalma suggested).

Selective gear no bait works without dividing advocacy groups.

New world conservation NGOs are not being smart on long term consensus building conservation which is MUCH needed to tackle Enrionmental protection, water flows, tribal relationships, etc which are much more impactful matters in sustaining wild steelhead populations.

Last edited:

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
I just sent my comments. Getting stuff done at lunch!

If anyone would like to read my comments send a PM. I am happy to share. I'm not gonna try and force feed you like a foie gras goose.

There is little more insulting then having a TU link as above that tries to have you just sign on to stuff like a sheep.

Go Sox,
cds

Like I said in a different thread the .orgs and wild fish dudes are jumping in now that the OS guys have finished doing all of the heavy lifting and are going to F everything up for everyone. I can see delays in opening this fishery as they bicker about making it fly fishing only and no fishing from a floating device disguised as conservation measures. When in fact it is so the 5% of the angling community can have a river mostly to themselves.
No organization I'm aware of has offered official comments or even suggested comments advocating for a fly fishing only fishery in the Skagit Basin, yet you keep bringing it up. Where are you getting that?

I can say with 100% certainty that fly fishing only regs are not among the recommendations for sustainably managing this proposed fishery that Wild Steelhead Coalition, TU's Wild Steelheaders United or Wild Fish Conservancy are offering.

Last edited:
No organization I'm aware of has offered official comments or even suggested comments advocating for a fly fishing only fishery in the Skagit Basin, yet you keep bringing it up. Where are you getting that?

I can say with 100% certainty that fly fishing only regs are not among the recommendations for sustainably managing this proposed fishery that Wild Steelhead Coalition, TU's Wild Steelheaders United or Wild Fish Conservancy are offering.
Just speculation. What further restrictions could be made beyond selective gear, no bait, one single barbless hook and C&R only? There are already safety precautions in place for early closures if to many wild steelhead are going to be encountered.

So please enlighten me how TU, WSC or WFC are going to improve upon regulations and in season management listed above?

FT

I just wrote and sent my email in support. Hopefully, most of the rest of us herein Washington Flyfishing will do the same. I requested it be open to the mouth of Grandy Creek.

Salmo_g

"To meet ESA requirements and avoid the excessive harvest that contributed to the decline of the Skagit's wild steelhead and eventually the closure of the fishery in 2010, we must manage the Skagit wild steelhead fishery conservatively."

This was from the TU link. It's a pretty vague statement, but is there any basis for it?
Dizane,

No, there is no basis for it. I'm disappointed that TU/WSU would submit or publish a statement like that which is not supported by any scientific evidence, and such evidence actually concludes the contrary.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Dizane,

No, there is no basis for it. I'm disappointed that TU/WSU would submit or publish a statement like that which is not supported by any scientific evidence, and such evidence actually concludes the contrary.
I wonder where they're getting their information from?
Anyone know who is the author of this revisionist history?

Hillbilly Redneck

wishin i was fishin
I used the TU form to submit my comment. I simplified it a bit.

“Thank you for the opportunity to comment on the Proposed Evaluation Pending Determination (PEPD) of the Skagit River Steelhead Fishery Resource Management Plan (Management Plan) submitted in November 2016 by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) and the three Tribes with treaty-based fishing rights in the Skagit.
I am a angler and an advocate for reopening a sport fishing season for wild steelhead on the Skagit.
As an angler who loves the Skagit's wild steelhead and wants the opportunity to fish for them again, I respectfully request that NOAA work expeditiously so that we can have a fishery in 2018.”

salmo what does it really matter you all worked hard to get your catch and release season.Now you have to get the money for the montioring,which I do not support taking any money from license fees to pay for.But the best all I can say Is thanks guys for getting the tribes a netting season on the skagit all that work for nothing.Because we all know in just a couple of years of tribals nets in the river the skagit will tank again.

Wolfkill, you really should look at the harvest numbers from the tribes on the Skagit. Their harvest numbers on steelhead are much lower than you realize. Tribal fishing didn't cause the low returns. Educate yourself.

Latest posts