Only 55 days but who's counting

Buzzy

Buzzy... is that Lenice??!?
Not Lenice. I'm often pretty tight lipped about fishin' holes, cept Rocky Ford because I'm part of F-Troop. The picture I posted is of a stillwater just west of the south end of Soda Lake. I don't know if it even has a name. I'd been exploring the CNWR and stopped to take a picture of the ice. For what it's worth, I was out there again today and most of the lakes have ice on them or at least partly iced over. @b_illymac and @troutpocket posted some pictures of some great fish they caught last week (?). One of the lakes they fished is completely frozen over now and the other lake about half frozen. Shoot me a PM if you're headed this way, maybe we can lie about catching! :rolleyes:

I wish I had a camera with telescopic lens and tripod - good stuff. There was a raft of white waterfowl on Potholes. They were perhaps a half mile off the roadway embankment. I think snow geese and there must be a couple thousand of them. Of course, no binoculars.

Buzzy

Pat, those might have been tundra swans, we have a lot of them over this way.
Hi, Ive -
Tundra swans? Hmmmm, maybe. Too far away to really identify but I stopped and shut the truck off and could hear what sounded like "geese". I did see a dozen swans six or seven miles south of O'Sullivan Dam in the CNWR.

Hope you're getting some break in the weather!

Pat

Buzzy

Snow geese. Estimates of at least 6000 around Moses this winter
This "raft" of birds was amazing. Coming down H Road SE and looking over Potholes, I thought that it was odd there was a snow covered ice raft between Medicare Beach and Goose Island. Decided to drive along the fill road. Regret not having binoculars. Must have been more than 2,000 birds to make a floating white island that large. Very cool.

Buzzy

Anyone have a "ice" report for Quincy lakes? Hoping the sun and mid 40's counters the mid 20s at night.
I heard the lakes are mostly ice free, you shouldn't have any issue there. Do not think about heading NE to this lake:
DSCF0639[1].JPG

What you don't see in this picture is the launch area is solid ice. I picked up a hardball sized rock and lobbed it out, bounced and skidded.

skyriver

I heard the lakes are mostly ice free, you shouldn't have any issue there. Do not think about heading NE to this lake:
View attachment 163949
What you don't see in this picture is the launch area is solid ice. I picked up a hardball sized rock and lobbed it out, bounced and skidded.
Thanks! You can tell how those birds are lined up they are standing on ice. Not good.
Good luck!

dp

~El Pescador
hey Shawn - what's going on over there. I'll be pulling into Lenice about 9:30. look for me on the ridge - possibly on the sand bar if it is easy to get to (never walked in that area). I'll be in a Jeep GC with Thule racks on top. Stout looking Mexican (legal).

Latest posts