Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Collated stuff

Tags
stuff
945 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Dave Boyle 
#1 · (Edited)
I’ve been meaning to reply to a few posts and give some replies/reports/observations and so here they are randomly all in one post. Gifts, how’d they work, SRC fishing reports, sippers, prehistoric looking sea lice, new resolutions and random thoughts therein?

I just bought my first ever new high end rod this Xmas, a 9' 6" BIIIx 5 wt for salt and lakes. I got 2 great single malts too, Lagavulin and Laphroaig hence this rambling post.

All of my life I’d always bought lower end gear and ‘enjoyed’ being a good angler with such. My perverse pleasure was that as a kid and beyond I could cast a lot better and catch more fish than many, esp. the walking ‘Orvis/Simms/add high end brands’ clad anglers. My issue here I’ll note, but hopefully folks know what I mean.

I had asked a buddy in 2017 “really why use high end rods?” and he noted, “It’s fun casting when I’m not catching fish and I often think of the pleasure of casting even when I’m not fishing”. I’ve never thought like that…

A personal discussion with an elder brother noted our Dad never bought great gear for himself when he easily could have and then it was too late. My brother always buys the best that he can afford. My point? Don’t leave it too late to enjoy at least one, essentially non guilty pleasure. If you can afford it then why the hell not buy it and enjoy something that’s really good? These rods can be bought for great deals in the classifieds, there’s always good deals. I’ve been there, done that, I just wanted to buy a great rod from the start.

The rod is good but hasn’t changed my life, I’ve only fished it off the beach and in some tough winds mainly and so as a 5 wt not ideal. I also bought a SA amplitude line, a supposedly super dooper line for $130…I got a deal at $50 as I burned so much on my Winston; get a crazy good rod, get a good crazy line, right?

So to the fishing and testing. My resolution is to fish the Sound a lot more and figure out a variety of good beaches to freeze my ass off getting SRCs rather than freezing my ass off catching ‘bows in lakes. The diversity of chasing SRCs has caught me and there is a ton of natural beauty in the areas I’ve fished so far.

I went to a SSound beach and started to fish the new rod, line and 10’ intermed polyleader, casted Ok but meh! not brilliant, actually a bit shite. Caught some cutts on a Delia’s squid. I only came across this pattern a yr ago but what a fly! I love Clousers, I cannot lie, but as a new confidence fly for catching fish I love it.

After a while, the fish were gently rising but ignoring the D squid. Sippers, so maybe a small euphausid? Off with the interm head and boom! The line and rod took off together, it was mad in the difference without the hinging. Cast the head out, loaded, and boof!!! It went out. Not 90’ but pretty good, an easy farish cast but a noisy running line that tangles a bit. I’ve just put on my 5wt 40+ onto a different spool and I’ll see tomorrow how this goes and get back.

With a very slow strip I had an amazing take 5 casts in with 16” SRC in a flashing on top take. All the SRCs I caught had the really nasty looking lice, argualids(?) that Nic C has noted earlier, they are stuck on and I tried to remove a couple but they’re stuck tight and so just left as is for a quick release. They are ugly and make the trout look nasty. Caught more rezzies too which were free of such nasties.

Looking forward to meeting or annoying WFF folks on far ‘off’ SSound 'secret beaches'

Cheers,

Dave

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice post! I've considered buying or building the Winston you have in a 4wt, not for searun's, more for trout fishing in smaller lakes and streams. Have cast it before, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I do have a fair number of higher end rods and have a little 4wt blank to start building soon...

#4 ·
Sounds like you added a intermediate polyleader to your floater.
That works in a pinch, but you are better off having two lines....a floater and a full intermediate if you plan to spend a lot of time on the beaches.

Please leave the lice, copepods etc on the fish rather then trying to remove them.

Good luck out there.
SF

#5 ·
I agree Dave, if a person can afford it, go ahead and buy whatever you want. When cost is no object, then, well, it isn't an object. If I thought I'd enjoy a high end rod more than the rods I use, that's what I'd have. Oh wait, I do have a few bamboo rods that cost a bit, but that's not what I was thinking. I haven't tried any plastic that satisfy me any better than a Redington CT, for instance. Heck, they could put a nicer reel seat on the CT and double the price I guess. Even then it would only be a mid-range price.

It comes down to fishing what you like. And if one likes the most expensive gear out there but cannot afford it, it's nice to know that there's really good stuff on the market across all the price ranges.

Sg

#6 ·
To me, stuff is just 'stuff.' It's never the gear, the scotch, or the Patagonia flat bill hat that made the trip, it's what we got to do and who I was able to do it with.

I get nice gear but always wait till it's on a tall sale. I'd rather spend my money on more trips/experiences, than having swank 'cargo.'

#7 ·
I fish top of the line gear whenever I feel it is an asset to my fishing. It's definitely not about looking cool or the feel of a nice rod in my hand. If I could find a rod that did everything my Meridian does as well for me for cheap I would snatch it up and fish it proudly.

One of the other six weights that I fish most often is a rod wrapped up by forum member @nailbender that I traded a dozen Clousers to Ira for. A solid build on an older Loomis blank that is just a joy to cast and fish.

If I can find something on the cheap that will do the job just as well as something more expensive then I jump all over it. If I can't, then I drop the coin and don't think twice

I also don't baby my gear, even high end stuff. It's all a tool in my eyes and nothing more.

#8 ·
What made you want to go with the Winston? Just curious.
Sorry for a late one, a buddy has the 9' 5 wt and I really liked casting it. I have a variety of low cost rods and can cast a pretty good line on all so I knew it'd be easy.

There's always been (and typically are) some really nice rods in the classifieds but I love the action and general style of Winstons. I guess I just wanted a really class rod. It's been 35 yrs since I last bought a high end trout rod. A Sage one or x is likely as good or better. I just wanted a treat for me re a brand new rod rather than used and one that was stellar

It is an awesome rod re salt and lakes. I've been lucky to get quite a few fish from both. With the right lines it's a ton of fun and figuring them too has been a challenge and fun

The only downside is I'd like matching 6,7 and 8's and beyond ...

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.