Khaki handed cast problems

New Spey enthusiast here. Swung for a couple hours on the Sky yesterday with my 8w, water was in prefect shape and I hiked way in so I didn’t see a soul. Fished two runs with no grabs, ok for me it was nice to be out. I’ve noticed that while on river left my snap-Ts which would be cack handed don’t seem to have nearly the power at all of my river right snap-Ts. Same with preforming my double speys on river left (cack handed) vs river left where I seem to have no problem casting them. I always try to keep my arms in to my sides, visualize being in a phone booth and slow down and watch the D-loop form but my cack handed casts still seem to lack that power of regular. Do I need to play with my over hang and just get out and cast more (long time single hand user only couple Spey trips even though Ive had no problem picking it up) or is there some tips some of you vets could provide? Thanks, tight lines everyone.

Jakob B

PS. If any of you are familiar with the Sky any of your favorite access spots to hike in from to stretches of promising river would be appreciated. I’m always looking for new water.

Last edited:
"Khaki" is a color or style of pants. I think you mean "cack" or off shoulder. Sounds like you've had some pretty good teaching. Be sure to accelerate on your sweep and use plenty of bottom hand. I really try to concentrate on slowing things down, finishing w/ my right hand ear high, wait, and give it a goose w/ the bottom hand.

Have you tried casting with your other hand instead of off shoulder? I find that much less awkward than casting cross handed. It may take a little time but will pay dividends in the end.
I'm right handed so when I'm river right I use a double, on river left I'll use a snap t or double.

Last edited:

the_grube

Less power could be most anything. Also, how much less? You might just be a bit better on the normal shoulder.

Go through the off shoulder cast step by step ( preferably in a practice area). Is the lift raising the whole head and part of the sink tip? Is your anchor placement good? Are you keeping steady tension through the swing? Are you watching the d loop form? Lots of lower hand on the forward stroke? Compare the off shoulder to the normal cast. All the clues are there.

@the_grube thanks. Yeah it just seems to not shoot like my regular handed. I should probably focus on my sweep and anchor position and finish it with that lower hand more.

"Khaki" is a color or style of pants. I think you mean "cack" or off shoulder. Sounds like you've had some pretty good teaching. Be sure to accelerate on your sweep and use plenty of bottom hand. I really try to concentrate on slowing things down, finishing w/ my right hand ear high, wait, and give it a goose w/ the bottom hand.
I was wondering what ones pants had to do with it.... :p

My casting is waaaaay better on the cack side. I use my bottom hand more instead of a big push from my top/dominate hand. Its just easier to stay in the box for me I guess.