Vintage Gear Photos

Preston

Here are a few reels from my, admittedly, modest collection. Most are from the '30s.

1-IMG_1273.JPG
This is a Newport reel, made by Percy Scott on the Isle of Wight, and sold by Percy Wadham Specialities.

1-IMG_1278.JPG

It features a caliper spring and a rather unique tensioning method.

1-IMG_1283.JPG

The screw. welded to the spring allows a certain amount of tension to be applied to the spool.
1-IMG_1382.JPG

Part of my collection of model 1494 Pflueger Medalists

1-IMG_1427.JPG

A reel made by Reuben Heaton & Sons for London's Army & Navy Store.

1-IMG_1628.JPG

An early Hardy Sunbeam

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
Vintage gear you say. Here's one I've had for about 15 years. Never cast or fished it. This rod was given to me by a friend who didn't know what it was but he thought I would research it and figure it out. I did that.

The rod was made by Henry Prichard of the Prichard Brothers, Thomas and Henry, 89 Fulton ST. New York. Originally from England, Henry open his shop in 1848. Thomas followed later. Their last name was often misspelled even by their own lawyers when applying for patents on their recessed swag band reel seats, handles and guides. It continues to be misspelled to this day. This has given a few historians some fits. They continued in the tackle business for 40 years. At first they sold the rods out of the shop but at some point started selling exclusively through Abbey & Imbrie. They even transferred the patents to A&I
Prichard Bros label.jpg

The rod is Greenheart with the Prichard patented celluloid handle with recessed reel seat and swaged "double beveled wedge" seat rings. You can clearly see the patent number and date displayed on the handle and top seat ring.
IMG_0038.JPG

Hardware is NS plate over brass.
IMG_0030.JPG

The rod is in pretty nice shape given its over 100 year age.
IMG_0035 rotated.jpg

The rod came in a cloth covered wooden form as did many other rods in that era.
IMG_0023.JPG

TC

PezVela

"
Vintage gear you say. Here's one I've had for about 15 years. Never cast or fished it. This rod was given to me by a friend who didn't know what it was but he thought I would research it and figure it out. I did that."

Wow... beautiful rod! I just posted a few jpg's of mine on a different topic... but will add a couple jpg's here:

It's an old (late 1880's) greenheart fly rod made by Anderson & Sons of Edinburg.... a fairly rare, single handed, 11', 3 piece, called "The Dunkeld" ...named after a small village on the River Tay, Scotland.

IMG_0746.jpg
IMG_0747.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts