SBS Krystal krill

SilverFly

I was asked how to tie the generic shrimp/krill/amphipod pattern I posted in the sippers-and-small-stuff thread. So here's a quick SBS.

Materials:

Hook: Umpqua U401 #6
Thread: Danville 3/0 tan
Dubbing: UV Ice Dub blended in colors Gray, Shrimp Pink, and Red.
Hackle: Krystal Flash in Pink Pearl

This fly is super simple and doesn't really need instructions since its just a loosely dubbed body with a few strands of Krystal Flash for the "hackle". Basically a synthetic soft hackle. The main thing is to keep it sparse and scraggly.

Start by wrapping thread from eye to just short of the hook point.

20180108_111733.jpg

Blend dubbing colors by pulling in one direction to align fibers (aids the scraggly look).

20180108_111754.jpg

Loosely dub the body forward to just short of the eye, and pick/brush out. Maybe even a touch sparser than this.

20180108_111901.jpg

Next take 3 full strands of Krystal Flash, doubling and cutting in half twice. (EDIT) This yields 2 bunches of 6 fibers of the right length. Enough for 2 flies (6 fibers tied and folded in half = 12 hackle fibers per fly).

I tie in the fibers in pairs evenly distributing them to form the "hackle", but I suppose a loop could be used. Fiber tips should flare about 45 degrees and extend at least a shank length beyond the body.

20180108_111942.jpg

Tie off head and seal with cement of choice.

Finished fly should look sparse and "breathe-y". Probably more like this one which actually has caught a fish.

Last edited:

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
Thanks. I've debated adding bead chain eyes to it, but not sure that would be an improvement. I like the idea of this pattern as something "light" that suspends well.
A small / light weight brass or black colored bead might be work exploring as well.
SF

Last edited:

SilverFly

I've got a rockfish/ling trip to Neah Bay just starting to form for this coming spring. I'll be tying rockfish flies myself very soon. As if I need any more lol
I can't believe it wouldn't work for rockfish, but the pattern (or my technique) was an epic fail for rocks that day. @Randall Clark (who took the jetty pic) CnR'ed about a dozen black rockfish, some nice ones too. While I managed one bluegill-sized runt - and that was on an anchovy pattern.

Last edited:
Yeah, it does actually. I've been on a kick lately with flies that have lots of movement, either through rubber legs or extra long hackles. After I did the SBS today, I felt inspired to do a winter steelhead version.
I'm looking forward to seeing the steelhead version.

A buddy of mine did well this weekend on that fly with legs. I used a version without legs and didn't have any luck. I figured it was time to tie up a couple with legs. We'll see how it is this weekend.

Latest posts