SBS Krystal krill

Gave this one a go last night. Didn't have the exact colors used so I improvised. I used shrimp pink ice dub, a callibaetis ice dub that is kinda gray/silvery with a purple hue, and some salmon pink lite brite dubbing. I'm happy enough with how it turned out though I may experiment with dubbing colors once I order some more.

I'll be sure to post up any results as soon as I can get out and get it wet.

IMG_20180109_221431_520.jpg

SilverFly

Yours has a shrimpy look I really like. With your experience base fishing the sound, I'm sure it's a good color combo. Looking forward to see how you do with it. Thanks for posting.

Great fly, @SilverFly. You mentioned loosely dubbing the body - have you tried it with a dubbing loop? I bet you could get a good shaggy-yet-sparse look that way, especially with ice dubbing. I may tie up a few of these tonight. I need a breather from the high blood pressure inducing flies I've been tying lately.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
Guy and Nick,
I'm assuming you are tying in each strand of krystal flash indivdually?

I'd love to see someone come out with a product similar to how polar chenille is made, but with krystal flash fibers evenly spaced out.
Short. medium and long versions. It be super easy to palmer around the head of a fly like this.
I know there are a bunch of products that are close, but I've never seen one with krystal flash type fibers.
Anyone know of such a product?
SF

Guy and Nick,

I'd love to see someone come out with a product similar to how polar chenille is made, but with krystal flash fibers evenly spaced out.
Short. medium and long versions. It be super easy to palmer around the head of a fly like this.
I know there are a bunch of products that are close, but I've never seen one with krystal flash type fibers.
SF

Not sure of any commercial made product but that's a great idea and something I've had in my mind for dubbing brushes. When I get home I'll see how well such a thing works. If it does I'll spin some up and send you a few to play with.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
There use to be a product called hula wrap.....I have some somewhere, seems like it was about 2 inches long though, so kinda short for this type of pattern.

Like this fly a lot, thanks for posting it.
I used to have some as well. The material itself if I recall correctly is closer to Polar Chenille then Krystal Flash.
I created some for myself a few times using scotch tape, but it was a pain in the ass. Could probably make your own using the brush techique.
I just like the stiffness and thinness of Krystal Flash for some applications.
It looks great on this pattern.
SF

Edit...you were reading my mind as I was typing my last reply Nick.

Great fly, @SilverFly. You mentioned loosely dubbing the body - have you tried it with a dubbing loop? I bet you could get a good shaggy-yet-sparse look that way, especially with ice dubbing. I may tie up a few of these tonight. I need a breather from the high blood pressure inducing flies I've been tying lately.
The fly I tied up above I used the ice dub in a loop. I tried the normal method first but much prefer the results with the loop

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
I used to have some as well. The material itself if I recall correctly is closer to Polar Chenille then Krystal Flash.
I created some for myself a few times using scotch tape, but it was a pain in the ass. Could probably make your own using the brush techique.
I just like the stiffness and thinness of Krystal Flash for some applications.
It looks great on this pattern.
SF

Edit...you were reading my mind as I was typing my last reply Nick.
I used hula wrap on marabou spiders for steelhead, kind of shrouded the stuff with the marabou, gave a cool sparkle to a typical spider type, alaskabou pattern.

I'm gonna dig mine out, and see if I can add some crystal flash to it and play around with it a bit. When I got it, it seemed like it would have a lot of uses, but never really used it a lot.

SilverFly

Thanks. No, I haven't tried dubbing the body with a loop. Really wasn't a need with how sparse the original version was. That said, I like the fuller loop version Nick did. Reminds me a bit of the European shrimp patterns for sea trout.

SilverFly

Guy and Nick,

SF
I just loosely tie the KF fibers to the shank at the middle of the bundle. Then slide them around with my thumbnail to distribute somewhat evenly before folding the forward facing fibers backward and tying them back. Again, tying those a bit loose. At that point I'll rotate the vice so I'm viewing the fly from the front so I can move the fibers around. Then secure in place with some tight wraps before tying the head off.

Not exactly a slick way of doing it, but it works. But yeah, some kind of KF "hackle" product would be great though. I'm just starting to mess around with brushes and not having much luck yet so I'll be very interested in Nick's results.

Last edited:

SilverFly

Looking forward to seeing how this pattern works for PS fishing. When I first tied this thing (the pink fly in post #8 was the first version), it was just something quick to round out my jetty box. I was busy getting ready for a tuna trip, and usually do some jetty fishing the afternoon before, or the next day if we can't get out for tuna (it happens). Anyway, I was thinking something simple for rockfish, greenling, or perch and basically did a reboot of this older krill pattern I've used for years in CR Gorge stillwater steelhead fisheries:

Ugly fly, but it's almost too easy to tie and it catches fish. So I kept the sparse/scraggly body, lost the tail, and added the KF hackle.

Having next to zero experience fly fishing the Sound, I can only guess what kind of profile will work best for rezzies and SRC. Like most things, it probably "depends". I suspect that super-sparse might work better for imitating euphasiids, and fuller and/or tapered profiles for amphipods and shrimp. Again, just guesses on my part, but I think there is often advantages to patterns that have a vagueness to them.

Hoping to play around with this some more when I get a chance. Would love to see what anyone does with it.

Last edited:

Latest posts