A few more getting ready to test out in the Sound in a couple weeks. Besides the color variants, I tried integrating snippets of Big Fly Fiber (orange) and Super Hair straightened by stretching slightly (pink, tan, and red).
A few more getting ready to test out in the Sound in a couple weeks. Besides the color variants, I tried integrating snippets of Big Fish Fiber (orange) and Super Hair straightened by stretching slightly (pink, tan, and red).
Here's the mono eye version. I think this will work better than bead chain since I like the idea of this pattern as something that suspends well. I used 30# mono, the brown Simi/Shrimp pink ID mix, and tan Super Hair (straightened) for the "hackle".
Thanks Nick! I deviated a little more with this one. I tied in the mono eyes extending back about a quarter inch from the start of the bend. Then started by dubbing a short section, tying in a few hackle fibers (orange Fishair here) and repeated that sequence a few times forward to the eye. I also tied the Fishair fibers backward more trying for something resembling a Spey hackle effect. An insult to Spey flies but I'd swing it.
So I was looking at a spool of 4# mono I had out for making eyes and wondered how it would work for leg material. It seems to take color well using Sharpie pens, and kinks nicely with a pair of pliers or a gently heated bodkin. Only problem is now this is a different pattern than I started with .
Thanks. Pretty easy to do by trapping the mono against a piece of paper with the pen and pulling. One interesting effect I really like is an interrupted pattern caused when the mono slips depending on tension as seen in the pic. I really hope the color will hold up when fished. Guess we'll find out next week .