Swap Barbless soft hackle

john gates

Vw Bus driving(68) God Fearing Adventure Seeker
If anyone has been on the fence speak now, otherwise the flyswap will close at the end of today; Sunday. That being said thank you all for participating in this year's soft hackle swap! We owe the swap ten softies that are drab and ten that are gawdy. Try to keep in mind gawdy doesn't have to mean over dressed and material rich. But we all have caught fish on an attractor! Thank you again. To the vises! If we are quick to turn this around. I really want to so a saltwater swap next.

jwg

I'm not a soft hackle expert, and don't have time to commit to tying right now.
I look forward to seeing pictures, and would be happy to hear soft hackle fishing advice.
ja
Hello tyers.
Objective is to fill a soft hackle box one side reserved in color and flash. And the other on the gawdy side. So if anyone would like to swap soft hackles my suggestion would be as follows.

4 total fly's per tyer in swap. Two patterns one pattern reserved/earthtone think naturals no dye. And than one pattern bright flashy and gawdy.
6 to 10 total participants including yourself depending on the interest. That means 20 flies total to be tied. It seems like a lot but remember guys soft hackles don't need to take but a few minutes each right. Think of the working box you will get back as well.
Due April 1st tentatively
1.John Gates
2.SeattleFarq
3.stabgnid
4.Bajema
5.craig hardt
6.Max P

I'm not a soft hackle expert, and don't have time to commit to tying right now.
I look forward to seeing pictures, and would be happy to hear soft hackle fishing advice.
Kudos to the OP for a neat idea.
jay

Worked on a flashy prototype over the weekend but didn't like the head on this first version so the final model needs a bit of work before the assembly line starts up. For the traditional, natural pattern I will be tyng some Stewart Spiders.

IMG_6309.JPG

Worked on a flashy prototype over the weekend but didn't like the head on this first version so the final model needs a bit of work before the assembly line starts up. For the traditional, natural pattern I will be tyng some Stewart Spiders.

View attachment 159867
That's a great looking fly. The hackle looks great.

I'm not sure what I'll do for my attractor, but I'm planning to do a beaded soft-hackle version of a hare's ear for my traditional one.

So is the group closed now? 7 participants means each tier owes 24 total flies. I think that's a perfect number - plenty of flies, without an excessive workload. And just to clarify, we're doing freshwater patterns only, right?

john gates

Yes the swap is now closed with squatchin rounding it out to 6 total tires excluding yourself for a total of 24 flies 12 drab 12 gawdy. Ask for the salt versus the fresh water my thoughts are it could be either one I don't mind so long as it's a soft Hackle no larger than size 10 and as small as you like to fish.

I like the size requirement. If we keep them under 10, they'll work for salt or fresh. Some of my favorite saltwater patterns work well in rivers, too.

In light of that, I think my attractor will be an orange reverse Kinney Spider. Good for cutties in the salt and rivers.

john gates

I tied up a sz 10 hare's ear dubbed body, pheasant Tail fiber back and tail. black ribbed hen hackled fly. My gawdy will be smaller.

Latest posts