OPST heads on short speys

WA-Fly

I'm a big fan of the OPST heads, I love the way they cast on my switch rod. Does anyone run these on their shorter speys? Rods in the 12' to 12'6" range? If so how do they cast and should I look into another Skagit head to bang out easy distance?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

scifidelity

i have one on my trout spey, 10.5 ft. works well, just super important to get the right wt. with shorter and lighter rods more so than longer heavier ones that can throw anything.

WA-Fly

i have one on my trout spey, 10.5 ft. works well, just super important to get the right wt. with shorter and lighter rods more so than longer heavier ones that can throw anything.
Yeah I noticed that on my light switch, it seemed very grain sensitive like these heads have a tighter grain window on the short rods.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I have a commando 325 on my Echo3 6110-4 and I occasionally use a 275 on my Redington 5110-4 Dually switch when I am not using a scandi head. With a longer rod you risk pulling the anchor and may need a MOW tip cheater, since these heads are so short.

The 325 on my Echo3 throws like a rocket from an n=1 casting experience with it so far.

bhilton

I tried a 425gr OPST a bit with my Echo Glass 7129 and it was ok and probably would have been the right thing every once in a while. I ended up using a Skagit compact in 510 as my go to as it’s just a bit longer and it seemed I me much better suited for that rod. I use that OPST head on an 8wt switch and I like it.

I use a 450 on my 7126 and it’s awesome. I pair it with the 168gr OPST tips and it fishes great for me. I use pokes and double Spey mostly and it slings a big fly effortlessly. Not my first choice for cranking em out to center field but love it for high banks and fishing in close.