Stupid Questions about Flatwing Flies

What about Pro Sport Fisher synthetic jungle cock?
Well, here you go.

Picture yourself at a bar, and two beautiful women walk up and say "we would love to take you home with us."
You would be pretty excited, right? If not, picture yourself being someone who would be.
Now what if they said, "We would love to take you home with us, but you cant use your real thing, only the synthetic one we brought with us."

What I am saying is, you would still want to do it. But you can't honestly be quite as stoked about it...

golfman44

5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Well, here you go.

Picture yourself at a bar, and two beautiful women walk up and say "we would love to take you home with us."
You would be pretty excited, right? If not, picture yourself being someone who would be.
Now what if they said, "We would love to take you home with us, but you cant use your real thing, only the synthetic one we brought with us."

What I am saying is, you would still want to do it. But you can't honestly be quite as stoked about it...
Not true at all. With the $$ I saved from buying the fake JC, I could pay for a third chick and really have a party.

XP

Everyone post a picture of your favorite JC.

Remember: It's not about weight or length it's about presentation and confidence.

Bagman

A few years ago I was looking into UV everything tie able for salmon. One article I read talked about the old days of fly tying with feathers. It said that before the fly tiers did not know anything about UV, but they did know the young health bird feathers caught more fish. In those days the birds used for fly tying were not raised but shot, or trapped. Today most all of the feathers are from pin raised birds. So what does all this mean? A lot of birds see in the UV area, and young healthy male birds put out a lot of color in the UV range, and the hens love them. My JC cape is at least 5 years old and there is still a small amount of glow off the black light. Anybody got a new JC cape they can put under a black light to see how it glows? Could the reason a flatwing with JC eyes fish better in one area then another be just because of an old cape? Just an idea.

A few years ago I was looking into UV everything tie able for salmon. One article I read talked about the old days of fly tying with feathers. It said that before the fly tiers did not know anything about UV, but they did know the young health bird feathers caught more fish. In those days the birds used for fly tying were not raised but shot, or trapped. Today most all of the feathers are from pin raised birds. So what does all this mean? A lot of birds see in the UV area, and young healthy male birds put out a lot of color in the UV range, and the hens love them. My JC cape is at least 5 years old and there is still a small amount of glow off the black light. Anybody got a new JC cape they can put under a black light to see how it glows? Could the reason a flatwing with JC eyes fish better in one area then another be just because of an old cape? Just an idea.
Sorry, I threw out all of my black lights when I graduated college ;)

Yes your first feather should be white tied in with the curve side up away from the hook point. https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCIdIkp_uBiYEw-Pb4-BDBjw
While I think the curve side up helps the fly (particularly larger flies) keep from fouling, I am not sure it needs to be white. One of the best things about tying flat wings is that it is a general outline to a great looking profile. If you are tying your wing off the start of the bend, it (the up-curved feather) really does help keep you "propped", however depending on the bulk of your fly, it may be super unnecessary.

Beautiful flies Chris. I want to see the furthest to the left flatwing in the Tacky box! That's one of my favorite color combos.

Latest posts