Orcas Running Out of Food

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
Since we don't typically harvest Orca's for food why shouldn't we try to control their harvest of salmon, which we do typically harvest for food? Maybe killer dolphins are predators of the fish we spend millions of money on so we can harvest them for ourselves? Maybe some marine mammals need to be controlled. Maybe we could convince them they'd do better for themselves if they stayed out of Puget Sound or any other sound around. Maybe we could teach them to eat pinnepeds instead of salmon or maybe we could cull the salmon eaters and let the pinneped eaters survive.
Arrogant attitude, humans are not the all important. The salmon are not all there for us only. Easier to teach humans to eat other food than salmon, perhaps that should be priority??

Humans are not dying out from lack of salmon, resident Orca are. Humans need to give up eating salmon. Pretty easy solution? Farm them in big swimming pools on land, who cares, leave the wild ones alone.

Did you not read anything I posted above? ..they do not switch over after eons of feeding on salmon, the resident Orca population.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
The resident Orca populations have already severely been depleted from starvation, I think it has been proven they will not change over. Domestic pets, they are not.

Klickrolf

Ed, Orca are not endangered, they exist in all the worlds oceans. They are in no trouble whatsoever. Should we spend public funds to keep a pod or 3 happy in the sound? My opinion is no.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
Interesting.
I'm all for helping the whales and having more salmon for them, but I think there is more too it if you read between the lines.
Considering who is sponsoring the bill, the area he represents and where the hatcheries are located, the "empty boat launches" comment speaks volumes.
For the state's lack of funding to WDFW and WDFW always claiming to be broke, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
SF

Ed Call

Ed, Orca are not endangered, they exist in all the worlds oceans. They are in no trouble whatsoever. Should we spend public funds to keep a pod or 3 happy in the sound? My opinion is no.
I never said spend money on them. I'm commenting on your claim if they get hungry enough they'll eat seals. You have the right to your opinion, to not understand what I am talking about and to be wrong...along with whatever other rights you have.

Klickrolf

We spend millions on them by feeding them our hatchery anadromous salmonids. If we could starve them of salmon they would/might adapt to pinnipeds, if they don't they're stupid and don't have much to offer...with respect to adaptation.

Shad

We spend millions on them by feeding them our hatchery anadromous salmonids. If we could starve them of salmon they would/might adapt to pinnipeds, if they don't they're stupid and don't have much to offer...with respect to adaptation.
So it's the ORCAS....

The population of orcas in question lives in the South Sound. I assure you they are NOT eating millions of dollars' worth of our hatchery salmon. Indeed, they're not eating any salmon at all, in lage part because of dumbasses who like to point the finger of blame at all but the true culprit in an ecological crisis. Call them stupid if you like, but for some perspective, you might consider what they think of us.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
Ummmm, Killer Whales do eat seals already. Both sides on the debate in here may need to do your research. They even will beach themselves to grab a seal and ride the wave back out. My daughter loved whales, so watched a lot of documentaries on them while she was growing up. They eat what's available. So before either side here starts slinging mud do your research.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
Ummmm, Killer Whales do eat seals already. Both sides on the debate in here may need to do your research. They even will beach themselves to grab a seal and ride the wave back out. My daughter loved whales, so watched a lot of documentaries on them while she was growing up. They eat what's available. So before either side here starts slinging mud do your research.

Jerry, got to call you out on this, please read the entire thread more carefully, I added full scientific research above that shows that resident and transient Orcas eat very different food source. You stating- along with Klick "they will eat what is available" is plan wrong. Talk to anyone in the whale research field locally, first thing up is the differences in the pods preferences.

The beaching and eating of sea lions is in the Southern Hemisphere.

People saying it is a simple thing of switching food sources is plain up not understanding how it works-especially fishermen who know the food different fish key on. These creatures are programmed via 1000' s of generations before man showed up and tipped the balances.

Science versus what seems to "should work" are different worlds. This site has gone bonkers with false information and crazy hypothesis- not directed at you, Jerry, just frustrated.

Last edited:

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
Jerry, got to call you out on this, please read the entire thread more carefully, I added full scientific research above that shows that resident and transient Orcas eat very different food source. You stating- along with Klick "they will eat what is available" is plan wrong.Talk to anyone in the whale research field locally, first thing up is the differences in the pods preferences.

The beaching and eating of sea lions is in the Southern Hemisphere.

People saying it is a simple thing of switching food sources is plain up not understanding how it works-especially fishermen who know the food different fish key on. These creatures are programmed via 1000' s of generations before man showed up and tipped the balances.

Science versus what seems to "should work" are different worlds.
Ummmmmm, you need to read what I wrote. Did I say that the resident whales eat seals? Nope. Like I've said I've done a lot of research on killer whales, and not by choice. You literally are looking
Ignorant on your little rant. Calling someone out you need a little ammunition to do that first. Instead you knee jerked and went on a rant. My point is they have a food source they have access to and killer whales can eat them.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
You are right, some do, and some do not, research shows the resident Orca are salmon eaters.
They will and are starving because lack of salmon. I added research above your posts earlier.

I am fine with differing opinions. Just pointing out a lot of research I have done for projects and talked directly with many in the oceanographic field.

Felt it important to have the research presented with sources earlier, as I did.

I add no more to this, just trying to add accurate content.

Last edited:

Latest posts