Sous Vide. Anyone use it?

smc

Was just talking to my sweety about her Sous Vide method. She flash sears before sous vide as it adds flavor, then finishes for crust.

One thing that I noticed is that the meat is very evenly done from edge to center. As mentioned, this method of cooking results in some very tender and tasty meat.

jersey

livin' the dream
Colleague of mine told me about a restaurant whose signature dish is sous vide octopus. He said it was beyond delicious.

They cook it and then lightly char prior to serving

If you have an immersion blender and a wide mouth jar, the hollandaise for eggs Benedict is super easy. Put all of your ingredients into the jar, put the lid on and put it in a 147 degree bath. Shake after about 20 min, and in an hour and a half blend with an immersion blender, or pour into a blender. Perfect consistency every time!

dld

I’m more of a Dutch Oven with coals kind of cook. I don’t pay much attention to kitchen gadgets that require electricity because I don’t always have power where I cook.

This device intrigued me mostly because trying to make eggs benedict (I like using chorizo or crab instead of ham) for a group is a challenge because of the poached eggs. I also like the idea of slow cooking.

Has anyone used it?

You mentioned in the stove/range thread that you sous vide steaks, but I'm sure that all of us would love to hear your opinions of this technique. @Trapper

Trapper

Author, Writer, Photographer
You mentioned in the stove/range thread that you sous vide steaks, but I'm sure that all of us would love to hear your opinions of this technique. @Trapper
dld. I’ve been using the Sous Vide at least a couple times a week. I like it a lot. Steaks, pork chops, burgers etc are so much more moist and flavorful. I finish them by searing on cast iron.

Cook times are not as critical so timing the rest of the meal is much easier.

I vacuum seal meats when I buy them anyway, so when I’m ready to cook I thaw them in the frig overnight, cut open the bag, season them, and the put them back in the bag and reseal it for cooking.

Trapper et al.,

For burgers do you cook them individually wrapped? The steaks and tri tip I've had so far using my instant pot have been excellent!

Trapper

Author, Writer, Photographer
Trapper et al.,

For burgers do you cook them individually wrapped? The steaks and tri tip I've had so far using my instant pot have been excellent!
I package burger in 1/2 lb packages. I season the meat with Aleppo, and seasoned salt. Sometimes I mix in salsa or other spices. I then make two patties and put them back in the bag. I put them in the water at 155° for an hour. Then toss them on a hot cast iron for about 30 seconds each side.

I like mine with a remoulade sauce I make along with homemade dills, and lettuce. Ill serve them with some oven fried julianne potatoes and chili sauce for dipping.

dld

Also what temp and time for burgers, say medium well?
Two keys to burgers:

Make them thick with a bit of a dimple in the middle.

Let them cool quite a bit before searing--this gives them a chance to let the juices coagulate, and helps to keep them from overcooking while searing.

I do mine medium, about 45min at 130. 140 should give you medium-well to well done. I don't put anything in mine. I have used 73%, and 80% lean beef. I think the 80% turns out better. After searing, I let them rest while toasting the bun in the pan, then the patty gets cheese and goes under the broiler to melt the cheese. Mustard, ketchup, baby spinach, tomato, and a little Ouxican sour cream.

I think I'll try some thin slices of my mother's pickled beets on it next time, but I'll probably forgo the cheese and sour cream.

Latest posts