New charcoal grill shopping. Is Weber where it's at?

No direct flame on a Traeger to do the cooking. It's really more like using an oven than a grill. With smoke.

Wayne
Some makes allow you to take out the diffuser plate and cook over direct flame. My Yoder has a removable door in the diffuser that also allows this. I’d agree, though, a pellet grill without this feature would be sorely lacking.

Yeah I see the appeal. A pellet grill is an appliance that makes bbq. . . and that is brilliant! I’ll probably get one at some point. But it skips the process. Setting up and maintaining the right fire for the job is a big part of my enjoyment.
Not trying to be a smart ass but if you love the simplicity of fire and meat why the heck are you wanting to spend 400 bucks on a charcoal pit? A skilled person does not need a 400 dollar pit to make great food it's not necessary. Unless you just want something nice then that's cool.

Not trying to be a smart ass but if you love the simplicity of fire and meat why the heck are you wanting to spend 400 bucks on a charcoal pit? A skilled person does not need a 400 dollar pit to make great food it's not necessary. Unless you just want something nice then that's cool.
Well sure. But isn’t this a fly fishing site? Why doesn’t everyone use entry level fly rods?

IveofIone

TP-you are going to love that Performer! There is so much to like-starting the charcoal in a chimney with the propane igniter, the generous table top for staging cooking items, how well it seals when shut down-I shut mine down as soon as I am done cooking and then reuse the charcoal for part of the next cook. There are a ton of accessories for it that make indirect cooking even easier (check out Youtube), it is easy to dump the ashes etc, I just can't think of any negatives. And should you ever need parts Weber carries everything for all the grills they have made over the years. I recently bought a flame diffuser for my decades old Go Anywhere charcoal grill and a new regulator for my decades old Go Anywhere gas grill. The Go Anywhere's are still the best grills to travel with due to their compact size.

TP-you are going to love that Performer! There is so much to like-starting the charcoal in a chimney with the propane igniter, the generous table top for staging cooking items, how well it seals when shut down-I shut mine down as soon as I am done cooking and then reuse the charcoal for part of the next cook. There are a ton of accessories for it that make indirect cooking even easier (check out Youtube), it is easy to dump the ashes etc, I just can't think of any negatives. And should you ever need parts Weber carries everything for all the grills they have made over the years. I recently bought a flame diffuser for my decades old Go Anywhere charcoal grill and a new regulator for my decades old Go Anywhere gas grill. The Go Anywhere's are still the best grills to travel with due to their compact size.
I’m excited to break this thing in! I burned a load of charcoal last weekend to cook off any dust or oil. Now it’s ready to go.

On another topic, my buddy with the new green mountain pellet grill has burned over $100 in pellets since the start of the year. He says the food comes out great, though.

Salmo_g

That looks like a nice BBQ. What is the diameter? I typically cook for two, occasionally up to 4, so I stick with my small Smokey Joe by Weber. I built a table to set it on that serves basically the same purpose as what you have there. No wheels however. I think I like the feature, if that's what it is, that allows emptying the ashes out the bottom. A downside of my Smokey Joe is having to put a couple layers of newspaper on the table and empty it out before each use and then dumping the ash and leftover briquets. I might need an upgrade.

Sg

That looks like a nice BBQ. What is the diameter? I typically cook for two, occasionally up to 4, so I stick with my small Smokey Joe by Weber. I built a table to set it on that serves basically the same purpose as what you have there. No wheels however. I think I like the feature, if that's what it is, that allows emptying the ashes out the bottom. A downside of my Smokey Joe is having to put a couple layers of newspaper on the table and empty it out before each use and then dumping the ash and leftover briquets. I might need an upgrade.

Sg
The diameter is 22”. Full description here https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/performer-deluxe-charcoal-grill

If you do some research you’ll find it’s pretty universally loved. And like Ive said, the after market accessories make it super versatile.

IveofIone

The big stroke of genius with the Performer is the little propane bottle igniter to start the charcoal. Just load the chimney, set it over the burner and push a button. No wadded newsprint or worse-igniter fluid. I can't believe people grill after using that stuff. Those grills with electricity, augers, timers, thermostats, etc may be okay for the busy urban crowd and certainly provide some needed bragging rights but they violate the basic Man-Meat-Fire trilogy required for true grilling.

Big K1

Large Member
FEE94335-954D-4450-BBC1-ECDE330BC929.jpeg
I like simple and that barrel design certainly is. The grill comparison chart on the company’s website shows the major advantage over a kettle is greater food capacity. What else do you like about it?
You don’t have to mess around with temp adjustments all the time. It is literally set it up and walk away. No need for a water pan or anything to keep meat moist. I think it is a fantastic value for an American made product.

Latest posts