Any tips for conserving and/or leaving a smaller footprint?

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
You can conserve energy by staying at home, turning the heat down or burning less wood, and wearing sweaters and long underwear. If you don't go anywhere, you won't leave any footprints at all. And..... you won't be burning any gas. Ride a bike. Fat bikes can go nearly anywhere.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
You can conserve energy by staying at home, turning the heat down or burning less wood, and wearing sweaters and long underwear. If you don't go anywhere, you won't leave any footprints at all. And..... you won't be burning any gas. Ride a bike. Fat bikes can go nearly anywhere.
The best is when a band like Pearl Jam has a concert for the environment at The Gorge, and 15,000 cars travel 10,000,000 miles of carbon footprint to get there and back...

Swimmy

Riffle > Run > Pool
The best is when a band like Pearl Jam has a concert for the environment at The Gorge, and 15,000 cars travel 10,000,000 miles of carbon footprint to get there and back...
Yeah I find there is a lot of hypocrisy in "conservation." I love my v8 and drive all over SW Montana to fish and ski. Low gas prices are awesome. But hey, I have a $25 membership to TU so I'm all good right?

I do like the idea of wearing more clothes and lowering the temp even a degree or two. Good luck trying to get my gf on board with that though. She'd be cold even if we had it set to 80 : )

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Lower the thermostat, use a pellet stove, wear sweats/sweaters, turn lights off when not needed, convert household lighting to LED bulbs & fixtures, use a more economical vehicle for the majority of your driving, leave the outdoors better than you found it (you have lots of opportunities here - I can generally easily fill a trash bag with the crap that too many slobs leave behind), recycle household trash/cooking oil/etc.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Yeah I find there is a lot of hypocrisy in "conservation." I love my v8 and drive all over SW Montana to fish and ski. Low gas prices are awesome. But hey, I have a $25 membership to TU so I'm all good right?

I do like the idea of wearing more clothes and lowering the temp even a degree or two. Good luck trying to get my gf on board with that though. She'd be cold even if we had it set to 80 : )
My replies so far have been mostly flippant and tongue-in-cheek. After all, I am of the belief that everything is just vibrating intelligent energy, and that it just changes form...and that humanity is approaching toxic levels in our Petri dish, and that things are getting curiouser and more interesting as far as their newsworthiness goes...but I'm shopping for a van and plan to start burning a whole lotta gasoline traveling and going fishing!;)

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I recycle what I can, repurpose whatever, plan ahead to consolidate local errands into one trip, and generally do my best to reduce my energy use. Fortunately for the planet, injuries have forced me to quit surfing. Good Gawd we burned up a lot of gas driving all over tarnation looking for good surf! (Prior to the Internet, it was often a roll of the dice heading out on surfari...now we have good intel!) If it weren't for the fascination and rush of riding clean barrels and ripping the tops off of waves with smoothly violent slashes, it would have been only wasted time and energy. Now I witness scores, sometimes hundreds (on weekends and holidays), of surfers driving out to the beaches from inland population centers (Seattle, Tacoma, Portlandia, etc).
The traffic gets so thick and gnarly whenever I have to drive from my sanctuary into Pugetropolis, that I swear that I'll never head in there again!

I'll be changing my household lighting over to LED once I get past some higher priority home-improvement projects.

Last edited:

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
I recycle what I can, repurpose whatever, plan ahead to consolidate local errands into one trip, and generally do my best to reduce my energy use. Fortunately for the planet, injuries have forced me to quit surfing. Good Gawd we burned up a lot of gas driving all over tarnation looking for good surf! If it weren't for the fascination and rush of riding clean barrels and ripping the tops off of waves with smoothly violent slashes, it would have been only wasted time and energy. Now I witness scores, sometimes hundreds (on weekends and holidays), of surfers driving out to the beaches from inland population centers (Seattle, Tacoma, Portlandia, etc).
The traffic gets so thick and gnarly whenever I have to drive from my sanctuary into Pugetropolis, that I swear that I'll never head in there again!

I'll be changing my household lighting over to LED once I get past some higher priority home-improvement projects.
On our farm of two houses and multiple barns and such, LED has been an amazing thing, highly recommend switching asap for everyone. Clean conscious, cleaner bill.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I'm seriously considering taking my bike to Montana on Amtrak this summer, instead of driving, but that would cut out a lot of fishing on my journey. It would use less fuel, though. I was going to blaze right thru Idaho non-stop and avoid purchasing a license there, since I'll be buying one in Montana.

Latest posts