Any tips for conserving and/or leaving a smaller footprint?

Seems like a BS thread but I’m a sucker.

My biggest thing is cutting down on plastic consumption. Less oil and less plastic in the landfill/ocean.

Easiest is bring your own grocery bags. Not sure why you wouldn’t.

No more single serve water bottles. One nalgene will last ten years.

Compost. Less trash means less trash bags. You can get a little counter top bin for cheap and then dump into your yard recycling or just a pile out back. Easy enough.

Ditch the baggies at the grocery store. You are going to wash it anyway.

No single serving “meals” where you get 8 different things, each in their own container. The worst is the new wave of blue apron style meals where each ingredient is packaged individually.

Lots more but that’s a start.

Swimmy

Riffle > Run > Pool
I do think it is easy to tell others how to live while many of us, including myself, could probably stand to clean out our own kitchen. Hence why I started the thread.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Use less of everything, grow more of everything you eat, cut energy usage, from lights to fuel.
There's a ton of ways to consume less, all of them have the added benefit of saving you money.
Not much of what I own was purchased new, a few things, but not a lot.
Led bulbs, timer on hot water heater, that's worth 20 bucks a month right there.
Simply not buying anything 2 or 3 days a week ...outside of fuel for work....can really open your eyes as to the difference between need and want.
Consume less, have more money, lessen your footprint....its actually pretty easy after a while.

The best thing the conservation community can do is to avoid hypocrisy and not tell other people how to live.
If you do it then it’s not hypocritical.

A question was asked. People said what they do. Nobody is telling you what to do.

What a negative post to a positive thread. Shows where your head is at. At least post one good idea.

Reusable Tupperware instead of ziplocks. Wash ziplocks if you do use them.

Triggw

Tundra. And I drive a lot.

I know I’m part of the problem but dig my truck.
Yes, most of us are there. I always though of my wife and myself as being very conservation oriented (We recycle, after all.). Then a few years ago I took a quiz that gauges your impact on the environment. The results were surprising and disappointing. Most of it had to do miles driven, kind of vehicle, and the size of the house we heat. It takes a lot of LED lights and recycling to make up for burning 2000-3000 gallons of fossil fuels every year.

Rob Allen

If you do it then it’s not hypocritical.

A question was asked. People said what they do. Nobody is telling you what to do.

What a negative post to a positive thread. Shows where your head is at. At least post one good idea.

Reusable Tupperware instead of ziplocks. Wash ziplocks if you do use them.

You are probably right. However and maybe this isn't very visible from the inside but the environmental community has done and is doing a great amount of damage to causes I care about because of hypocrisy and a heavy handed holier than thou attitude towards everyone else.

recycling is good re-purposing is even better.

the best thing any of us can do for the carbon footprint is use the appropriate vehicle for what you are doing. I personally burn about 3 gallons of gas per day for work and a bit more on the weekends and a lot more during hunting season.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
It'll save you money in the long run, that's the most immediate thing you see when you start to consume less of everything, more dollars in your pocket.
Hot water heater timer switch is another coin saver, easy install and second biggest electrical user for a lot of homes, a timer switch can save about 150 bucks a year on the high end, 60 to 70 on average, depends on kWh costs of course.
That's a good chunk of a guided trip to nymph beads over ESA listed fish.....

:)

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
No single serving “meals” where you get 8 different things, each in their own container. The worst is the new wave of blue apron style meals where each ingredient is packaged individually.
I can tell you that this won't go away any time soon. In fact it's being worse and worse daily. People that were ordering one meal a week are now ordering a weekly supply. And more and more people are ordering. The account of these fresh meals delivered to your door companies are gaining in popularity. Crazy how fast the craze has caught on.

Latest posts