Pesticides killing salmon.

FinLuver

Didn't I read sometime back, that you could get fined for collecting rain runoff??
I wish I could remember where I read that, it was in one the three liberal states on the west coast too.
Go figure.

Skip Enge

Staff member
Didn't I read sometime back, that you could get fined for collecting rain runoff??
I wish I could remember where I read that, it was in one the three liberal states on the west coast too.
Go figure.
yes, Colorado, Utah and ? ... but jamma will get a kick out of this because he has joked "Skip will write a poem about it..." and I did sometime a couple years ago...Ha!Here is a link

http://www.ncsl.org/research/environment-and-natural-resources/rainwater-harvesting.aspx#wa

Rain Police

Here comes the rain
that fresh shower
Falling from above
All I wanna do
Is feel it's caress
and catch that feeling
Like the bonus of love
So I thought,well fine
I can make it mine
Harness it
Use it to bide
The dry times…
But No , it can;'t be so
Possession and peace
Do you have a lease?
Yet the rain falls
Blessing us all
Here they come
the Rain Police
Advocates for some
But nature isn't one.
Here comes the rain
that fresh shower
Falling from above
Like the bonus of love
So I thought, well fine
I can make it mine
Harness it
Use it to bide
The dry times…
It was an honest mistake
Thought i could avail
of what heaven makes…
But No , it can;'t be so
Possession and peace
Do you have a lease?
Here they come
the Rain Police
Advocates for some
But nature isn't one.
Here they come
the Rain Police
Here come
the Rain Police...
Advocates for some
But nature isn't one.

Last edited:
Jerry, I think I would support terminating/closing the "Conservation" forum. It seems it is just a place where one perspective bashes another with little or nothing accomplished. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy a little political sparing, but the name calling and bad language gets a little old. Much of the time you can’t figure out what an individual is trying to say. Here we are talking about pesticides and the impact or our salmon as though it is the only problem and it is a problem. These days it is “impossible” to get through the day without having some negative impact on the environment. Chemicals are everywhere even if you are organic. We can’t hide from them. All we can do is the best we can as individuals.

Finluver, it is illegal in most suburban areas to collect rain water and to have cisterns to store it. The other side of the coin is in many of these same areas we are taxed for the runoff.

FinLuver

Finluver, it is illegal in most suburban areas to collect rain water and to have cisterns to store it. The other side of the coin is in many of these same areas we are taxed for the runoff.
Thanks Bonsai...
My own little neck of the woods has just implemented a "fee" for runoff this year.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
We have an annual "drain fee" out here which is supposed to help pay for keeping the drainage ditches cleaned out and flowing. Its $6 per residential lot. When I combined my two adjacent lots into one bigger lot, my drain fee dropped from $12 to $6!:D
Its OK to have rain barrels out here on the coast. We get planty of rain, except for the usual late July thru Sept drought conditions. During Winter snd Spring, we can hoard all the water that we can store!

I have 3 1/2 acres with a house and barn. I was going to build a nursery on part of the land and thought it would be a good idea to collect the water off the roof of the barn and house. With about 36" of rain a year rain barrels would not do so I went to the county building department and tried to get a permit for a cistern. You would have thought I was asking to dump my septic directly into the creek. Won't do that again.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
If I wanted to build a cistern here, I wouldn't even inquire about a permit...I'd just go ahead and do it. I don't even know if a permit is required for one, but as long as something is low key, stays within the legal setbacks, and doesn't bother the neighbors, nobody seems to care about outdoor home improvement projects. Some codes aren't ever enforced out here, unless someone makes a complaint. A couple of my neighbors still burn trash, including plastic, in "burn barrels" (has been illegal throughout WA state for several years), in their yards right out in the open. Any idiot knows that horribly stinky clouds of grossly polluted smoke that issue from burn barrels are a major health hazard to anyone downwind, because they don't burn hot enough to really combust everything.
I plan to start phoning these assholes in every time I witness a violation. They know that what they are doing is illegal and pollutes the air. They just don't give a shit. I'm sick and tired of having to smell barely burning smokey trash that is mainly packaging and plastic.
Local sheriffs depts don't seem to prioritize enforcing this, so I suppose that I should report it directly to the WA State Patrol or some office in Oly.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
If I wanted to build a cistern here, I wouldn't even inquire about a permit...I'd just go ahead and do it. I don't even know if a permit is required for one, but as long as something is low key, stays within the legal setbacks, and doesn't bother the neighbors, nobody seems to care about outdoor home improvement projects. Some codes aren't ever enforced out here, unless someone makes a complaint. A couple of my neighbors still burn trash, including plastic, in "burn barrels" (has been illegal throughout WA state for several years), in their yards right out in the open. Any idiot knows that horribly stinky clouds of grossly polluted smoke that issue from burn barrels are a major health hazard to anyone downwind, because they don't burn hot enough to really combust everything.
I plan to start phoning these assholes in every time I witness a violation. They know that what they are doing is illegal and pollutes the air. They just don't give a shit. I'm sick and tired of having to smell barely burning smokey trash that is mainly packaging and plastic.
Local sheriffs depts don't seem to prioritize enforcing this, so I suppose that I should report it directly to the WA State Patrol or some office in Oly.
I deal with the same issues, they either burn the stuff or deposit it out in the woods, either way it’s bullshit !

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I just read the news that the WA Dept of Ecology has decisively banned the use of the insecticide imidacloprid in marine aquatic environments. I'm going to celebrate by having some locally harvested oysters for lunch!:D

Last edited:

Latest posts